Why can't portraits be fiction?

opticularity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Why can't portraits be fiction? From the origin of photography it has been been almost a sacred virtue that photography has to be equivalent to "the truth"... What you see is what you get. OK, many portraits are post processed and that in itself tangles with the definition of the truth... But why don't we use photo as fiction? Yes, I know that films is pictures and fiction together... But what about stills... I have worked with a storytelling project where I have used portraits and fiction stories together... Go take a look and tell me what you think?

opticularity

Thanks in advance

kr
Rasmus

I won't go look because you have 1 post...

But I basically agree with you. Portraits ARE fiction. Just like BIOgrapies, lol.

Why can't portraits be fiction? From the origin of photography it has been been almost a sacred virtue that photography has to be equivalent to "the truth"... What you see is what you get. OK, many portraits are post processed and that in itself tangles with the definition of the truth... But why don't we use photo as fiction? Yes, I know that films is pictures and fiction together... But what about stills... I have worked with a storytelling project where I have used portraits and fiction stories together... Go take a look and tell me what you think?

opticularity

Thanks in advance

kr
Rasmus

Cindy Sherman disagrees with you.

The photography looks pretty ok. It's technically sound, but not wildly interesting. By marrying it to some fictional blob of text, I'm not sure you're accomplishing anything much. It's some sort of multimedia art, at that point?

I'll reply to your link with another link: Photos and Stuff: Text and Photographs

I'm pretty sure they can be whatever the photographer envisions.....

opticularity

Thanks in advance

kr
Rasmus

Cindy Sherman disagrees with you.

So does Brooke Shaden...

Flickr: brookeshaden's Photostream

Most reactions

New Topics

Back