Why did you buy a Sony?

I thought, hmmmm? If the sensors in some top end cameras are coming from Sony(think Nikon), then why not just skip the middle man and get the better camera!

Scott (stirring quickly in this pot) B

I thought, hmmmm? If the sensors in some top end cameras are coming from Sony(think Nikon), then why not just skip the middle man and get the better camera!

Just because they make the best sensors doesn't mean they make really good bodies etc.

I bought a sony because I had an acquaintance who owned a NEX5 and the image quality compared to my old xsi just blew me away. While I love the features on my NEX-7, I cant say I am impressed with how it has held up. :-(

Just because they make the best sensors doesn't mean they make really good bodies etc.

But they do. Sony is probably the only company innovating right now.

You've got an APSC mirrorless that AF's as fast as a DSLR (a6000), a full frame mirrorless that is the new lowlight king (a7s), the fastest AF APSC DSLR with the most AF points (a77 ii)... Meanwhile cannon and nikon keep putting out the same old stuff.

I got a sony A100 when it was released, it was my first... and still my only.. I HAVE NO MONEY.. ;_;

I acquired a Sony A200 as a hand-me-up when my daughter moved to Canon. I later acquired a couple of Sigma lenses and eventually upgraded to a Sony A55. I have been very pleased with it, especially the GPS facility.

Last edited:
A few years after it acquired Minolta, Sony had a really good deal on the A350 in 2007(?) so my wife bought the kit as a step up for us from point-and-shoots. We've stuck with Sony ever since, primarily because of the lenses we've accumulated. When we decided to go pro body, we considered Nikon and Canon but got the professional A77 instead. Great features aside, owning a Sony for me now is more of a statement.

A friend of mine does a blog for cruisers. His NEX pictures were flawless. The sharpness and low light ability were awesome. I went the knucklehead route anyways and purchased the best Nikon lenses (the Trinity), and a great 105 macro. In the meantime, I realized we have a trip coming up next summer going to Europe. I just didn't want to lug all the Nikon FX gear around, but I want great pictures. I decided, after investigating, to buy a Sony A7 full frame, and thus my journey has begun. So far, I love it. My backpack weighs 20 lbs. less, and I have everything I need but a wide angle Sony lens. Oh, and I also stashed some cash back in the bank from the sale of the Nikon gear.

Just ordered the A6000, before i had an nex-5 and a nex-3n and i can say Sony has had the best build quality of any camera`s i have ever had.

John.

I'm a disabled pro photog who has trouble squatting down to shoot or getting on a ladder. Because Sony's cams can shoot instantaneously while using the screen, it was a no brainer. I can now get the cam at eye level to a chihuahua (while bending or sitting) or as high up as I can reach and use the screen to compose. I've also found that I like the electronic viewfinder to get more information, as well. It's definitely a matter of preference, as, despite those who must knock Sony to feel better about their camera choice, all the major camera companies make excellent bodies.

FilledwLight

Some models are less than a Nikon but have the same characteristics

I started out in 35mm days with a Minolta X-700. Not long after I updated to the Minolta Maxxum 7xi and later to the Konica-Minolta Maxxum 7D. Over that period I purchased some lenses to go with the cameras. Due to the lenses, I stuck with Sony and have had no problems with them. Due to lens compatibility on a specific lens purchased recently, I went with a Canon EOS Rebel T5 as a secondary digital camera. The Sony A77 is my main workhorse now.

Last edited:
What swayed you to get a Sony over a Nikon, or Canon, or...?
1st I could use the old Canon FD lenses that I didn't think I would ever get to use on a digital camera, second features like image stabilization with my old lenses, the Zeiss 55mm lens, FF, 24 mp. I have the a7II

Most reactions

Back