Why did you buy Canon?

When I first started looking at the entry level cameras it was very easy to choose canon over nikon, I knew the layout, better iso, better price. Then I found out about USM lens, and loved it. I am attracted to some nikon lenses and the nikon d300, so I might switch in the future just to try it.

Benchmarks helps me decide which one to get, eg. two lenses of the same type ie same focal length and fstop, benchmark and price will help me determine which one to choose.

But they don't help your photography

But they at least help me know that I bought the right thing, which has the best value:price. You could choose not to look at benchmarks, but that way you'll be using the prayNspray technique. You don't know if what you're buying is right. lol

I dont look at that site for any help i do my own research and this Nikon lenses are better than Canon is ********

I dont look at that site for any help i do my own research and this Nikon lenses are better than Canon is ********

Having your own research and tests always leads to inconsistency. There are many variables that you might not have fixed.

Benchmarks helps me decide which one to get, eg. two lenses of the same type ie same focal length and fstop, benchmark and price will help me determine which one to choose.
But they at least help me know that I bought the right thing, which has the best value:price. You could choose not to look at benchmarks, but that way you'll be using the prayNspray technique. You don't know if what you're buying is right. lol
Not judging you on gear but you comment on so many higher spec lenses etc but your gear is entry level as far as i can see. We can all recycle Google searches in different ways. It does help when people ask about gear and at least you have some experience with that gear either because you own it or tried it or have a friend that has it. Nikon at the moment is killing canon in DxO charts, but are nikon users taking better photos than canon shooters? I expect going forward you will post the highest rated and sharpest photos ever seen on TPf

Not judging you on gear but you comment on so many higher spec lenses etc but your gear is entry level as far as i can see. We can all recycle Google searches in different ways. It does help when people ask about gear and at least you have some experience with that gear either because you own it or tried it or have a friend that has it. Nikon at the moment is killing canon in DxO charts, but are nikon users taking better photos than canon shooters? I expect going forward you will post the highest rated and sharpest photos ever seen on TPf

I'm not saying that Canons aren't good and Canon people can't take good photos. Canon and Nikon are leapfrogging each other every few years so basically going with either depends on when you're buying. No doubt Canon is better in terms of APS-C sensors until Nikon came up with D7000, and in terms of full frame, the D800. Before that, Canon's sensors were better for almost a decade. I'm just trying to say, by looking at benchmarks, Canon or Nikon, your money can be better spent. I believe that Canon will leapfrog Nikon again though.

EchoingWhisper said:
Having your own research and tests always leads to inconsistency. There are many variables that you might not have fixed.

But you cant go wrong with 300f2.8L 200f2.8L 50f1.4 24-70f2.8L 70-200f4L just a few of my lenses

EchoingWhisper said:

But you cant go wrong with 300f2.8L 200f2.8L 50f1.4 24-70f2.8L 70-200f4L just a few of my lenses

If you can't go wrong with those lenses, then what's the point of conducting those tests and researches?

EW, from what I've seen of your posts... You do far too much looking at benchmarks and not enough time actually taking photos. I'm still convinced that you're more interested in optical physics, and not interested in photography aside from owning an entry level DSLR and some kit lenses.

EW, from what I've seen of your posts... You do far too much looking at benchmarks and not enough time actually taking photos. I'm still convinced that you're more interested in optical physics, and not interested in photography aside from owning an entry level DSLR and some kit lenses.

I do takes quite some photos, maybe not the best, but rarely do I post my photos here. And I'm also very interested in physics.

I purchased my first Canon DSLR based on my experience with my 35mm Rebel. I thought I might make use of the old 35-80mm kit lens from this era, but I found nifty 50 to look so much better in IQ. I never owned Nikon DSLR, but have plenty of friends who does. I find Nikon's default WB to look very unnatural. And their ADR while handy, make picture look very unnatural even at medium setting. Of course if you tend to shoot RAW and post process your images anyway, this is probably not a con. I agree with sentiments of many here that both Canon and Nikon have inherent strengths and weaknesses, but in the end, it is you as a photographer who creates a good vs. a bad image. I've seen plenty of beautiful images created by low end last gen Rebel cameras using kit lens in the POTN forums. So quit bickering about whose schwartz is bigger, instead, go out there and shoot!!

For me it was a toss up between Canon and Nikon. I wanted to go with a brand that was tried and true and that was known for quality.

I had a Canon powershot previously so I was familiar with the menu's. At the end of the day it really came down to how the camera felt in my hands as I knew either Can on or Nikon would be good. I started off with the T3i and then shortly after switched to the 7D as I wanted a weather sealed camera, and maybe an upgrade, as I found myself outside more often than not and needed a camera that would not be affected by the elements.

I'm not saying that Canons aren't good and Canon people can't take good photos. Canon and Nikon are leapfrogging each other every few years so basically going with either depends on when you're buying. No doubt Canon is better in terms of APS-C sensors until Nikon came up with D7000, and in terms of full frame, the D800. Before that, Canon's sensors were better for almost a decade. I'm just trying to say, by looking at benchmarks, Canon or Nikon, your money can be better spent. I believe that Canon will leapfrog Nikon again though.

That still does not matter unless you know how to use the better gear and you don't so why worry about it

EchoingWhisper said:

If you can't go wrong with those lenses, then what's the point of conducting those tests and researches?

I don't, i just buy mostly L lenses

Most reactions

Back