Why did you buy the camera you have?

I upgraded to the 50D because I wanted the bigger, stronger body, faster frame rate, better ISO handling, bigger screen, more convenient controls, and better IQ. Also, the ability to be able to adjust to fix focusing problems with my lenses right in camera drove me to get the 50D over the 40D as well as some other factors.

I bought a Nikon D60 because the total came out to exactly what I got back in my tax returns. Haha, well that and I'd played around with my sister-in-law's D40 and could figure things out instantly, its like it was made for my hands. I knew where everything was, I knew how to adjust everything, its like when you try on a wedding dress and you just KNOW which is the right one. It was magical.

Then I went and did my Googleing and saw that the D60 offered more and felt (physically) better in my hands, it was better designed than its big brother the D40. I checked out reviews and came to the conclusion that it was a great buy for the cash and would be the way I knew if this was what I wanted to do for years to come. I couldn't risk spending thousands of dollars on a camera that would just get pulled out for that annual family portrait. It had to be something that I was so in love with, I put my wallet and phone in my camera bag instead of a purse.

Then I started up with lenses and the rest is history. I still love my camera - whom I call Uncle Sam.

Research and price. My D40 does everything that I want it to do (except autofocus my 50mm f1.8, but that is easy enough to use manually and it gives my eyes a test). I am able to capture great photos. I am never making prints larger than 8x10 so the small megapixel rating was not a concern. I was able to save a lot of money on the body so I can spend money and upgrade my glass. Once I have better glass then I can focus on a better body. Maybe even full frame. For me, glass > body.

I bought mine because it was on clearance at best buy and I knew I wanted a Nikon because several years earlier I had a Rebel film camera and the cheap body cracked. The button to the shutter release fell off, got lost and the camera was then just a paperweight. So I now only buy Nikon. Which is not with out it's own problems, I bought my daughter a Coolpix and the flash stopped working. And my 18-70 lens zoom was jammed. I took it apart and fixed the zoom but now it won't auto focus. I hate things that don't work...

My camera works great but I need to find a D300 on clearance. haha

Personally, photography always interested me but I only had access to low grade stuff when I was younger. Then a few years ago, my aunt (who is a photographer) was upgrading her Olympus E-300 to the latest and greatest thing at the time. It seems as though whenever Olympus brings something new out, she would upgrade right away. Well...As it turns out, we were expecting a baby and I wanted to be able to capture our child's moments forever. In my search for a decent quality digital camera I first bought a Nikon Coolpix 5400. I hated it right out of the box...My photographer aunt (who is extremely Olympus biased) offered me her 1 year old E-300 for $300. I bought it and have enjoyed it alot. It was this camera which made me choose another Olympus...I now have an E3 on the way (hurry up postman!!).

Cheers!
- Dan

wanting to make the jump from film to digital, on a budget.
research lead me to my D40.

now im ready to upgrade, and my research and budget have lead me to a D200...i just need to get it. ;)

High ISO low light performance for shooting weddings and frame rate for shooting action.

I shoot motorsports. I get paid for it. I have been using a Sony Cybershot DSC for a few years. It is one step above a point and shoot and 5 steps below a DSLR. I've got a few older canon film lenses so I knew I would buy a Canon. 4 months ago I bought a 50D first and like it, but I also do video from time to time so I traded it 2 weeks later for a 7D.

I quickly realized I was moving back to ametuer status with the 7D and have been learning ever since. Great camera and I can't wait to learn how to take real pictures.

I bought a D60 because I got it for a fairly decent price. I feel really limited with it because it doesn't have certain features that I want, unlike the D90. I should have waited but I can't really do anything about it anymore. I will just get a full frame camera when I can. :]

I was looking around flickr at some of the awesome pictures people take and I decided it looked like a cool hobby. I couldn't afford a really expensive camera so I went with a Nikon D40. I know its a beginners camera but its working out great for me so far! I hope to use it to improve my skills with then eventually move on to something better sometime in the future when I feel like my D40 is holding me back.

I think I will go for a really nice f/2.8 lens before I upgrade my body but I am very happy with what I have right now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back