Why do some sticker bomb their lens hoods?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I see this quite often at events or even just random photographer on the side of the road and their lens hood is covered with stickers.

Is there a purpose for this?

The only reason I can think of like how musicians, mainly like guitarists or guitar bassist put stickers on their instruments case from events and venues they've played at.

So I can understand why a photographer might do this, especially traveling event photographers. The thing is, I never really noticed seeing that many len hoods covered up in stickers before until fairly recently I've been noticing it a lot more. Almost as if it's some sort of photographer fashion trend haha.

I have no idea. I'm just simply making an observation and wondering what is the actual purpose to why some do it. Maybe it's just simply for fun? Stickers must go somewhere right?

Have you ever sticker bombed a lens hood before?

Why? I don't know. Mebbe it's 'cuz I've never seen it done.

Never seen it ether!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't seen it around here either

I keep a yellow piece of electrical tape wrapped once around the circumference of my lens hoods, as a way to quickly identify them as mine in the event they get set down among the gear of other photographers at sporting event or something. This is a habit I picked up from being a firefighter.. each department wraps or paints their tools a certain color to easily identify them during cleanup.

But I've never seen stickers all over a lens hood before, and don't think it's something I'd do.

I do however put stickers on the pelican case that holds the majority of my camera gear.

That's really interesting. I did some research and found a photographer who has 3 lens hoods for his 70-200 2.8, one has car related stickers for car shows, the other one is his normal one with random stickers and the third one is "formal" for weddings and things like that.

Is it strange? I dunno. To each their own!

each department wraps or paints their tools a certain color to easily identify them during cleanup.

We taped, painted, stenciled, tagged and still every now and then a piece would disappear.

each department wraps or paints their tools a certain color to easily identify them during cleanup.

We taped, painted, stenciled, tagged and still every now and then a piece would disappear.

I organized and labeled the linen closet, but that didn't last long lol.

Is it strange? I dunno. To each their own!

Yes, it's strange, and wasteful if they have multiples for no reason other than "fashion". I've never seen this done.

Maybe the same reason some put stickers on their laptops.
20170310_075606.jpg

Ever see someone with tattoos, multiple piercings, ear gauges, head spikes etc? Just the way it is.

I did some further "investigating" and from what I've learned why some do it.

• If a group of photographers are shooting in one area, like at an event and they all have same lens, it prevents someone accidentally grabbing the someone else's lens.
  • Another common reason is that it's a great ice breaker or conversation starter.
  • One person said it's an anti-theft deterrent which I don't really understand because if someone stole your lens, they could just ditch the lens hood.
  • Quite of few people said it's just personalizes it, makes it unique.
Like @gryphonslair99 stated, it's no different than people having tattoos or piercings.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back