Why do some sticker bomb their lens hoods?

I'd love to go to comic con someday, that would be a blast.

I did some further "investigating" and from what I've learned why some do it.

• If a group of photographers are shooting in one area, like at an event and they all have same lens, it prevents someone accidentally grabbing the someone else's lens.
  • Another common reason is that it's a great ice breaker or conversation starter.
  • One person said it's an anti-theft deterrent which I don't really understand because if someone stole your lens, they could just ditch the lens hood.
  • Quite of few people said it's just personalizes it, makes it unique.
Like @gryphonslair99 stated, it's no different than people having tattoos or piercings.

The last bullet for me, though I haven't done anything to lenses or lens hoods.

• If a group of photographers are shooting in one area, like at an event and they all have same lens, it prevents someone accidentally grabbing the someone else's lens.
  • Another common reason is that it's a great ice breaker or conversation starter.
  • One person said it's an anti-theft deterrent which I don't really understand because if someone stole your lens, they could just ditch the lens hood.
Like @gryphonslair99 stated, it's no different than people having tattoos or piercings.

Well don't laugh at me but I had a bunch of photography related stickers laying around and I gotta use them up anyways before the glue dries and so I stuck them on my lens hood and I want to see if anyone actually does talk to me about the stickers on my lens hood, just for fun. I'm a pretty anti social in person so who knows, maybe it might help me. Can't hurt to try anyways!

Well don't laugh at me but I had a bunch of photography related stickers laying around and I gotta use them up anyways before the glue dries and so I stuck them on my lens hood and I want to see if anyone actually does talk to me about the stickers on my lens hood, just for fun. I'm a pretty anti social in person so who knows, maybe it might help me. Can't hurt to try anyways!
Laughing eyes covered.gif

Oops. Sorry, I misread you post. :biggrin-93:

These companies better give me some money for advertising for them, I could use some more money.

Yes for adverting. Helps when shooting at events or just when you're out taking random pictures. You cant talk with everyone but usually most people notice a guy walking around with a camera and a 500mm lens

Same reason people wear hats or put stickers on their car/laptop/house/fridge - etc...

We all like a degree of personalising, some more than others. A lens hood is an ideal thing to decorate because you can always get a new one cheaply if you want to sell it on in the future.

I have a slim (3-4mm wide strip cut from a regular 1 inch roll) dark blue electrical tape around my lenses, tripods, flashes, light stands, mounts.... pretty much all my gear. It does not stand out from even a few feet away unless you wee looking for it, but easily identifies my gear if involved in group shoots when packing up at tend of day. (For lenses I'm less worried as they would go back in my bag, but I've been to some places where there were multiple lights on various stands, all moving around during the day.... and that way I know I get mine back. Does not prevent theft of course. (If someone wants to grab something and pocket it, hard to stop that sort of thing), but just helps with the "Is this yours?" that happenes typically at group shoots.

gf does it.
The blue tape is to separate her gear from mine at a glance. Also at events, she can make sure no one grabs the wrong gear.
She has her hood and gear festooned with her logo so that riders and clients can spot her. When they see the logo they look her way so she can get the shot of them looking.

Well whatever coating Nikon uses on their lens hoods, stickers do not like it very much haha.

I've never seen it here but it could be fun. Kinda like putting stickers on your guitar.

I've never seen it here but it could be fun. Kinda like putting stickers on your guitar.

Yeah but they are not sticking to my lens hood. After thinking about it, I see the stickers most commonly on Canon lenses so it's gotta be the kind of coating on Nikon lenses that stickers don't like whereas stickers actually stick to Canon lenses. I guess that can be a good thing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back