Why do we want to learn?

I didn't say that you were patronizing.
I said that what you said could be considered patronizing.

Rather than attacking me as being dishonest if I don't agree with your opinion of your own statment, why don't you actually consider that what I said is my opinion and as justified as your own.

Lew, you are forgiven. You are going through difficult times.
I understand you don't really mean to say I was attacking you and called you dishonest, only because I wrote "and if you are honest" ... which is "honest to yourself", and you know that.
But ... it is ok.

And yes, we need to learn to be "accepting ourselves", Hertz, that is what I feel is sorely needed. Not speak other people's minds just to be friends, but also not to be narrow-minded and one-sided. I have to learn it, we all have to learn it. Almost all our lives. That makes societies/communities work. Individuals with their own minds getting along, despite their individual opinions.

Believe it or not there are somethings kinda neat about having a brain tumor like mine. You wake up every morning and the sharp details of the day before are gone. You remember the broad strokes like how to drive a car but not how much gas is left from yesterday. To get to the point.

I will remember that we had this discussion... I wont for the life of me remember what the details were. And it will be like it never happened at all. I can rationalize it now, but tomorrow it wont even be a real memory just a vague feeling. It's kinda neat... I am serious about that it really is neat sometimes.

Lew, you are forgiven. You are going through difficult times.
I understand you don't really mean to say I was attacking you and called you dishonest, only because I wrote "and if you are honest" ... which is "honest to yourself", and you know that.
But ... it is ok.

No need to forgive me, I didn't do anything.
But thank you anyway. I will just put it down to English not being your first langauge.

No need to forgive me, I didn't do anything.
But thank you anyway. I will just put it down to English not being your first langauge.

I think this contains some classical misunderstandings ... I experienced this even among native speakers of different versions of English (Scottish and Texans for example ;) )

it's a visual medium. seeing is explaining. if one edits a photo, then accurately describes why he/she had done so, that is learning for the future.

do you realize that it would've taken me hours to type everything that i could show visually in this critique? http://motionless-continuum.com/Gandalf/nyc.htm

am i reading your statements incorrectly here?

it's a visual medium. seeing is explaining. if one edits a photo, then accurately describes why he/she had done so, that is learning for the future.

do you realize that it would've taken me hours to type everything that i could show visually in this critique? http://motionless-continuum.com/Gandalf/nyc.htm

am i reading your statements incorrectly here?

You do that for all ote?

You do that for all ote?

do i do all of that for ote? yes. rather, yes. selectively, however; as it takes a great deal of time (i've been working on one for just over an hour now and have yet to begin the written portion let alone the completion of the graphic mark up). if a photograph is in the 'serious critique' forum and the op desires to understand photography as an art, then i will indeed spend the time.

if a person wants a serious in depth critique, does not he/she deserve it? that's not a question, really; more of an emphasis on my approach to photographic critique.

Well, motcon, I am in awe!
And with a well-WORDed explanation AND visualisation of what you say (since, agreed, photography is a visual medium), your kind of in-depth critique sure works.
But I must also admit that this kind of critiquing is very different from what we usually see on here, where the reply post to someone asking for critique often is only their own edits as means of their reply.
There is a big difference between what you did with the photo of the person who took the photo in Central Park in Winter and what I see happening here.
You did use all the words - plus the illustrations.
That kind of critique is ... wow: outstanding. Outstandingly good and deep, too! Wow!

it then stands, my fairest LaFoto, that we violently agree - a photo edited without information is nothing but an expression of one's own vision.

in such cases one would do better to view the photograph, then go about with camera and post processing to create his/her own unique image. to merely edit a photograph without an explanation (preferably rooted in the fundamentals of art ) is indeed nothing more than 'graphic art' ie - digital manipulation of an existing image.

to respond to those that will post regarding the previous paragraph - no, editing an existing photograph is not considered a variation of a theme. a variation of a theme is understanding the theme, then starting from scratch with the result being an entirely new interpretation.

motcon;

Fascinating post. That's the second time I've went off on an exploration after reading your comments.

First was the Fibonacci series. I took a botany class a month or so ago where it was discussed in relation to plant growth and animal reproduction. I've used a spiral model for several years as an outline in developing an environmental website I like to work on. I always called the system my 'conchs.' I became interested in spirals a bunch of years ago doing a self-study on inferences- probably not the right name for how people think, but I stay occupied...

So anyhow, this time it was the Golden mean- Thanks. I suppose next it will be harmony/harmonics. Cool stuff.

Just thought I let you know that was a cool 'review/critique.' I got to bug out, too many similar threads are getting too distracting and confusing. I'm going to go play with my toys and think about some of the material you presented and how it applies to nature/photography.

If everyone could do that I'd go ote- If you ever see anything of mine you'd like to do that to, or use as an example, let me know.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back