Why do you take photo's

Seems we're all in agreement....we do it because we like it.
Personally I enjoy capturing images that please me and on the way I learn how to do it better but in my case there's no driving ambition.

alsoran said:
The attitude displayed, the driving ambition, the single mindedness (is that a word) made me think that I am missing something, that I should not be travelling , seeing new places, meeting new people but should rather be driving towards becoming great, rich and famous.

The only problem is I don't care.

My fiancee is young but she has the drive to be really successful (damn spelling again) in life (depending on how you define success) . But I have always been of the theory if you can pay for what makes you happy and can afford to put a steak on the table then all is good.
I pretty much agree with the others. Success is really how you define it and what you really want from photography. If you think success comes from being great, rich, and famous then that's your goal. Although from your post it doesn't sound like it. I measure photography success as being happy with the picture I took. Even if nobody in the world likes it then I still think it's a success because I got the picture I was going for.

A lot people seem to measure success by money or fame and if that's their mindset then who am I to change it. Although there are a lot of unhappy rich and famous people out there. Money and fame is easier to measure which is probably why so many people use it as a way to tell how successful they are. Simple happiness is too vague to measure so it can easily be disregarded as successful.

No matter how rich or poor I am or how famous or unknown I am, etc, etc...if I don't hate my life or have any regrets on the day that I die then I call that a success.

As for why I take photos, it's because, like all of my hobbies, it's a stress reliever and I find enjoyment in the activity. If anyone likes my shots enough to buy them then that's a bonus but that's not why I take pictures. Of course I don't make a living from taking pictures so it's easier for me to say that. For me enjoying photography as a hobby comes first to every other reason I take pictures for. I enjoy the creativity and challenge of getting the shot I invision. I don't always get it but it's the process I enjoy.

For me, it's about "flow". While I'm taking photographs, or working on them afterwards, I get this amazing sense of something "happening". I can have issues with hyper-vigilance, but when I'm in this zone, that all drops away.

I used to be in my nirvana while coding, but I can't get into the same mental space I used to, so it's rather difficult for me now. Photography has taken it's place. I get a tremendous feeling of accomplishment from it, and the best part is I enjoy the process; it's not all about the result.

Thanks all for your replies. Interesting reading.

After what was the first 'shocking weekend' for self doubt in a long time I am back on track.

Thanks to all of you who took the time to read and answer.

Cheers
alsoran

Photography is a form of creative expression, an artform, therefore anyone who is looking at it from how many bucks they can make, I believe has got it all wrong.
Especially since its not the type of career a lot of people cna make big bucks off. Its a passion.

I think about taking photographs a lot. When I am out without a camera, I tend to think "that would make a great shot" often times, instead of just enjoying the moment.
I am passionate about a lot of things along with photography, and these are the things that I think power me from inside.
My job has nothing to do with my passions unfortunately, and because of that, I get great enjoyment out of the time I can spend doing the things I love.

I love beauty in things, I love details, I love stories and through pictures I can create all these things and find them in things that maybe others wouldn't have. That gives me satisfaction.
I like sharing it with others too, that also gives me satisfaction.

Bigger and better....I don't neccessarily think those two words should always go hand in hand.

Photography is my newly discovered obsession. I always was interested in striking visuals and frames. While I used to watch movies at home, I often 'paused' and check out the beautiful 'frames'. But since I was not interested in the waiting game of finishing the roll/developing/washing/buying another roll/making the shots better..., many other passions caught my attention, UNTIL digital cameras came to the market.
I play a bit of keyboard/piano. When I'm in the mood, I do not have to play the waiting game when I feel the urge to strike a couple of notes. Just need to tap the keys, and viola! That was what I wanted in Photography. Digital helped me to cut the chase. I now can focus on my development instead of the daunting red tapism.
Like Manda was mentioning, most of the stuff that I see is a prospective frame! And the release is heavenly!
I cannot be compared to any of you here. Have miles to go and am already on the move. Relishing each and every moment with the camera.

manda wrote:
Photography is a form of creative expression, an artform, therefore anyone who is looking at it from how many bucks they can make, I believe has got it all wrong.

Hmm... so you mean I'm on the wrong pole? I'm thoroghly interested in this art form, its a passion for me. But at the same time, I wouldn't mind marketing something that I liked when I was at a particular time/space. Why would that be wrong in marketing something that people would love to hang on their walls? I think I would be so proud to have my images hanging on different walls. Its not the money. Money is just the bonus. Its that kick that I'm talking about.

manda wrote:
Especially since its not the type of career a lot of people cna make big bucks off. Its a passion.

I certainly agree. One cannot step in to this field envisioning the bulky wallet/swanky lifestyle. Like I mentioned above, the wallet should just be considered as the bonus. Its the passion that should lead the person.

You missed my point. I said that people who are in it ONLY for making bucks have got it wrong.
If you can make money off your passion, I say go for it 100%.

manda said:
You missed my point. I said that people who are in it ONLY for making bucks have got it wrong.
If you can make money off your passion, I say go for it 100%.

Apologize for missing the point!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back