Why does my photo look like this??

Nessy024

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone I just shot my last shoot using RAW for the first time...im really bothered by the look of the mans hair in my photo, and as much as i fix exposure etc nothing seems to be right....is his hair like this because I shot RAW?? HELPPP!
Vanessa Julie Photography | TRIAL

I dont see anything wrong other than you are shooting toward the sun so your photo looks washed out. You can increase the contrast a bit and maybe make the WB warmer.

It appears to be lacking in contrast (typical of a RAW file.. they generally need some color/contrast tweaking in post because the in camera stuff doesn't get applied to them).

Also, as Schwetty has pointed out, it's really washed out because you shot into the sun.

so what is great about raw? I thought it would help with my colors no?

RAW gives you an uncompressed, unmodified image, as it was seen by the sensor. It doesn't enhance anything. It will look crappier than a JPG that your camera spits out unless you process it (or your RAW editor may have presets already in place). The benefits are that YOU decide how to make your image look and you have a lot more freedom to make adjustments without affecting quality. You also cannot modify, at least formally, a RAW file. No matter what you change to it, you cannot save over it. The original file stays the same.

RAW gives you an uncompressed, unmodified image, as it was seen by the sensor. It doesn't enhance anything. It will look crappier than a JPG that your camera spits out unless you process it (or your RAW editor may have presets already in place). The benefits are that YOU decide how to make your image look and you have a lot more freedom to make adjustments without affecting quality. You also cannot modify, at least formally, a RAW file. No matter what you change to it, you cannot save over it. The original file stays the same.

+1. Raw gives you WAY more control over how your photos turn out. The biggest advantage is the fact that you can change the white balance in post.

I think his hair was goofy to begin with. I would be more bothered white all the khakiness going on here. Try not to let your customers make themselves look like total dorks.

Raw is better, but you must (usually) apply all the settings you used to apply in the camera (when you shot jpeg) during post processing. Raw isn't some magical, set-and-forget miracle camera function that makes all the world a sunny day (my apologies to Paul Simon).

Shooting in raw simply gives you a digital file that's a recording of what the sensor saw when the shutter was open. No increased saturation, no boosted contrast, none of those settings you had in your menus on the LCD of your camera have been applied. Some raw-capable software will add those things automatically, some won't. Check to see if yours does.

Think of it this way: Instead of ordering a fully prepared meal with no choices, you buy the ingredients instead. It's up to you to cook the steak to your liking (rare, medium, well-done), cook the potato the way you want (Baked? Mashed?) and you get to decide what dressing goes on the salad (French, ranch, vinaigrette, etc.).

I would also suggest you level the pix out..... unless your intention was to drain the ocean.

thank you so much everybody :)

ps i took the picture down :)

Most reactions

Back