why does my zoom lens sometimes get stuck and unable to zoom?

ph0toe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
does it have to do with distance? when i try to zoom from 24 to 35 it sometimes get stuck. i have to really forced twist it a couple times in order for it to "sometimes" allow me to zoom to another focal length . why is that?

It's broken.

Something came loose inside. Sometimes it jams, sometimes it doesn't.

does it have to do with distance? when i try to zoom from 24 to 35 it sometimes get stuck. i have to really forced twist it a couple times in order for it to "sometimes" allow me to zoom to another focal length . why is that?
Obviously it is defective. If it's a cheap variable aperture kit lens, it may not be worth fooling with. Contact the manufacturer.

Less expensive lenses have plastic parts, maybe gears, which can wear or if you bumped the lens, could break of a small piece, which jams the mechanism. Without knowing or looking that's just a guess from common experiences. The little bit, floats to different spots and can be out of the way, or get stuck which jams the lens.

Most low cost lenses, even those by well known makers use plastics parts to guide the various lens tubes as they move in and out during zoom and focus operations, these plastic parts can become detached, especially if the lens tales a hard knock.

It's often not worth the cost involved in getting them repaired, unless it's under warranty and you can convince the maker you did not drop it. (Good like trying to do that ☺️).

Have a look at this video, it might be something similar with your lens.

The first question is: What lens is it? Find out and then do a little research on the lens itself. Share here and we can help you.

Nikon has a lens that is known to be squeaky and sometimes gets stuck. I knew this when I bought it but did so anyway. Sometimes it gets stuck and I have to manually zoom in and out to make sure it operations appropriately. I normally just do this once when I take it out of its case. This is not a cheap plastic lense with variable aperture. It is a well known lens from Nikon. with a known issue. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it.

It's either broken or it's a Sigma

Most reactions

Back