Why does old LCD panel leak liquids in film cameras

dzzhang

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Many old film cameras use LCD panels of an active matrix display, or maybe termed as "thin-film-transistor liquid-crystal display", to show some basic and practical information such as the counting, ISO settings, etc. Unfortunately, they will probably leak liquids at some time. For example, the Minolta AF7000/AF9000, Contax G2, and etc.

I was trying to find out why this happens so that I can protect the LCD panels on my film cameras from leaking liquids. It is just like a time bomb I mean. My friend even told me that I should not keep the camera in a too dry surroundings as it will also damage the LCD panel (not sure if this is correct). I usually keep my cameras in the dry cabinet to avoid moulds, and now I was totally confused.

No matter how stored seals will dry out. The seals on the LCD panel and the foam light seals just dry out, crack, come loose and fail. But in all my years of camera store work I think I have seen maybe 2 LCD panels with a sticky liquid coming from the sides, most had black blotches from impact, heat or loose/dry seal damage. Light seals are the biggest fail.
I bought a used Pentax ME from a co-worker who bought it new. He literally used it twice and put in a dry cool closet for 35 years. I had to replace the light seals.

BTW I store all my working film cameras in a camera case in a closet.

Last edited:
Not sure of the science--if any--behind LCD preservation but failure isn't necessarily correlated to age alone. Not all displays were created equal and I wonder if their manufacture quality isn't as much to blame for failure. Makers did sometimes cheap-out on electronic components responsible for the failure of their products--e.g., the bum capacitors in Minolta X-XXX film cameras. Others?

I own a couple Nikon F3 bodies: very early and very late examples. The oldie's teensy in-body LCD is still readable but at lower contrast than the newer model's: medium grey display against light grey background-vs-crisp black against light grey. No leakage--thankfully!

None of my old Nikon film bodies have leaks either light seal or lcd. Some 40 years old.

I contacted a friend I know who is an all things camera tech and he says that if those old LCD panels are fine after all this time then they are more then likely OK. Storing in a low humidity area of your house is best.

No matter how stored seals will dry out. The seals on the LCD panel and the foam light seals just dry out, crack, come loose and fail. But in all my years of camera store work I think I have seen maybe 2 LCD panels with a sticky liquid coming from the sides, most had black blotches from impact, heat or loose/dry seal damage. Light seals are the biggest fail.
I bought a used Pentax ME from a co-worker who bought it new. He literally used it twice and put in a dry cool closet for 35 years. I had to replace the light seals.

BTW I store all my working film cameras in a camera case in a closet.
I can make sure to protect my camera from impact, heat, but for the dryout seal......emmm, there's no way

Not sure of the science--if any--behind LCD preservation but failure isn't necessarily correlated to age alone. Not all displays were created equal and I wonder if their manufacture quality isn't as much to blame for failure. Makers did sometimes cheap-out on electronic components responsible for the failure of their products--e.g., the bum capacitors in Minolta X-XXX film cameras. Others?

I own a couple Nikon F3 bodies: very early and very late examples. The oldie's teensy in-body LCD is still readable but at lower contrast than the newer model's: medium grey display against light grey background-vs-crisp black against light grey. No leakage--thankfully!
Yeah! That makes sense, some series of the film camera just tended to leak liquids more likely than others, due to the design or manufacture.

None of my old Nikon film bodies have leaks either light seal or lcd. Some 40 years old.
Also less heard of liquid leaking problems on Nikon film cameras, good quality!

Most reactions

Back