Why does putting everythign in focus create noise?

taelan28

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got an NEX5n. Its pretty sweet. When I switch to intelligent Auto I can adjust the crispness. I can adjust it so the object is in focus or I can adjust it so everything is in focus. When I adjust it so everything is in focus A TON of noise is created and its not a desirable picture.

Why is noise created when everything is in focus?
Why can I focus on everything and have a clear picture?

Just guessing, but I suspect it achieves the "crispness" by raising the ISO, which allows a smaller aperture, which increases DOF (thereby everything is in focus)... but the in-camera sharpening algorithms probably also enhance the noise that occurs at higher ISO. When you are letting the camera be the intelligent one, you're giving up a lot of control to a machine, which then executes whatever preprogrammed instructions the maker made. Personally, I like to make my own choices and tell the camera what I want it to do. But that is just me. Then again, since I don't know that particular camera, something else may be going on.

Sound like a valid explanation. From what I can tell iAuto is the only way I can adjust the DOF and crispness. I'll toy with the camera right now and see if I cant do some things to reduce it.

Just did some experimenting outside of iauto. I can get everthing in focus without much noise if the shutter is all the way up to 30 seconds and the F thing is in the opposite direction. Im no expert on a photo but I didnt think it turned out too bad considiring the way it was before, but im sure you shutter bugs could tell me what the deal is.

You should check out your manual and google "The exposure triangle." It's worth a read.

I can get everthing in focus without much noise if the shutter is all the way up to 30 seconds and the F thing is in the opposite direction. Im no expert on a photo

9824389.jpg

That "F thing" is called your F-Stop. Please, RTFM.

taelan28 said:
Just did some experimenting outside of iauto. I can get everthing in focus without much noise if the shutter is all the way up to 30 seconds and the F thing is in the opposite direction. Im no expert on a photo but I didnt think it turned out too bad considiring the way it was before, but im sure you shutter bugs could tell me what the deal is.

It's because a small aperture (large f# like f/11) lets in a little amount of light. A slow shutter speed like 30 seconds is required to get in the right amount of light to properly expose the image.

A smallish aperture is needed to get everything in focus because it produces a large depth of field.

I'm sure the reason the photo was noisy before was because in auto the camera would've raised the ISO in order to use a small aperture while still keeping a semi-fast shutter speed.

Intelligent auto! lol.

That is called an oxymoron. Kind of like jumbo shrimp, beyond infinity, civilized warfare, essential luxury........

I live in Korea, thus the manual was in Korean, so I through it out.

I live in Korea, thus the manual was in Korean, so I through it out.

Okay, so you haven't figured out that there's manuals online for pretty much every DSLR made in the past 10 years? Clearly you understand English, that should be the easiest manual to find.

I can get everthing in focus without much noise if the shutter is all the way up to 30 seconds and the F thing is in the opposite direction. Im no expert on a photo

9824389.jpg

As far as my understanding goes, the NEX5 is a camera aimed at novices, and is probably less likely to have a proper explanation of f-stops etc, unlike most DSLR manuals.

Also, the meme is supposed to say "y u no" :sexywink:

9824389.jpg

As far as my understanding goes, the NEX5 is a camera aimed at novices, and is probably less likely to have a proper explanation of f-stops etc, unlike most DSLR manuals.

Well, that's why they should go to pg 39 of the Nex 5 manual to find out that their camera has a manual exposure mode. Then they should read up on the exposure triangle.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/NEX_series.pdf

9824389.jpg

Sorry, I had already initiated a minimum effort response to match the minimum effort of the OP, so I didn't make the meme but just got the URL :)

Most reactions

Back