Why does this always happen to me?

Senor Hound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so from being here in the last month, I have gotten better at recognizing a good photo, and understanding what it takes for my photos to be great. So I read my "Understanding Exposure" book, I read the websites on composition, and EVERYTHING. Yet whenever I get out there, I either forget these important aspects in the rush of the shot (I have ADD, so even still life is a moving experience for me, lol), or remember them, shoot and still have crummy photos!

I LOVE photography, there's almost nothing funner than getting out there and taking photos. But it seems like I almost dread seeing how they turn out, cause I'm going to think they suck. Sometimes I'll even leave them on my card for a week or so, cause I'm so afraid of that cool moment where I felt connected turning out like crap.

Does anyone have any advice. I know this isn't an easy question, but sometimes I wish there was a "make picture perfect" mode in Photoshop. I feel such strong emotions when shooting, and I'm not getting them out of my photos at all... :(

Or maybe I'm being too hard on myself. I have a camera with metering and focus problems, and the user has only been at it for 7 months or so... It just seems like since I've been here and can see how good I could be, I can't figure out why those shots are never in my viewfinder...

We couldn't be any more different. I feel comfortable with the theory, but I seem to be having a hard time applying it in practice.

I think I know what people here are gonna tell us, and those are "practice makes perfect" and "keep shooting," which are very valuable tips. I'm also thinking of taking it little by little every time I shoot, meaning focus on a couple of aspects of photography. For instance, I know that next time I go out shooting, I'm concentrating on picking an interesting subject (which is easier said than done, especially for someone as uncreative as me), and applying DOF techniques.

Yah I am going to be predictable and say keep practising - - we all make those little mistakes (shooting with the lens cap on, forgetting to change the apature, being in the wrong mode) and its only from making them that you learn.
Also don't fear your photos - getting them off camera and into the computer to look at is the first thing I do, unless a shot is totally runind you really can't tell quality from the LCD only on the PC screen.
And once they are up get one or two online for comments and adivice - even if the comments are saying what you think it means that you know you are thinking along the right lines.

practise, practise, practise.....the more shots you take, the more you learn about the camera/lens combos/lighting to the point that you develop an intuitive "feel" for the shot.......that said, you will still have bad shots too

I feel ya, when I started I had no idea where the meter was in my camera. So I just messed around until I found what setting worked, and gave me the result I wanted. I finally found the meter about a week ago, and it's always wrong, to me anyway. So I just go with what I know and ingnore it.

I read once that a lot of Pros are happy if they get 2 really good shots on a roll, so I always tried to get 2 decent shots on a roll.

Is it possible that you have learned too much at this point? What I mean by that is you are trying to apply all the rules and techniques you have learned at once and it is overwhelming. Try shooting a roll (or card) and focusing on one or two of the fundamentals until they become second nature to you. Eventually you can incorporate more and more of what you have learned into your shots.

edit to add: or basically what evo5gsr said ;)

I'm going to follow the pack and say that photography is no different from any other skill set... practice, practice, practice, and practice some more.

Before easy access to the internet, I pretty much learned everything by blowing through rolls and rolls of film and learning through experimentation. (I was really too young at the time to realize it though). Once I got more serious about my photography (both as a hobby and possible career) in college, I had just realized that many of the topics discussed in literature was basically already learned.

Here's the problem.... I couldn't stand reading about photography... it's a big YAWN.. soooo boring!!!! I went back to just experimenting and rediscovered the joy which is still what I do today. Pretty much the photography books on my shelf and journal of notes I keep are simply for reference.

Even now.. I can look through my archive and see times when I became "rusty". I'm in one of those times now just trying to fit some quality time behind the camera with a busy schedule.

Some people can run the 100 meters sprint in under 13 seconds. Others cannot.
That's reality. Accept it, and move on.

I am right there with you. Keep reading tons and I feel like I understand it but it seems to take a while till I can actually do it. And yes I DO have ADD. LOL I tend to do 4 or more things at one time. I don't take anything for it so at times I look like I am on speed. :lmao: Just keep practicing and reading. I believe one day both of use will be able to master this then they will change something about it so we will have to relearn it. :lol:

Here's something for you to try... it may be a little hard with you having ADD... but...

For the next couple of times you go out to shoot.... limit yourself to one subject only... and no more than 10 photo's..... just pretend it's a film camera with only 10 shots remaining....

This limitation might allow you to slow down and apply the theory that you have learned instead of just firing off 200 shots and hoping 5 are good by way of luck....

Once you get desirable results increase your subjects and frames to whatever level your comfortable with....

Some people can run the 100 meters sprint in under 13 seconds. Others cannot.
That's reality. Accept it, and move on.

Wow, are you my professor from college? :er:

Techniques can be learned.
Skills can be sharpened, even if it isn't on an olympic level.

One thing you could try is what Peterson talked about in his book Understanding exposure... that is, take notes when you shoot. Deliberately set up your camera and take some shots noting details that you think are important. Review the pics and then see what you could do different and try again.'

That takes some discipline, but its an alternative.;)

Here's something for you to try... it may be a little hard with you having ADD... but...

For the next couple of times you go out to shoot.... limit yourself to one subject only... and no more than 10 photo's..... just pretend it's a film camera with only 10 shots remaining....

This limitation might allow you to slow down and apply the theory that you have learned instead of just firing off 200 shots and hoping 5 are good by way of luck....

Once you get desirable results increase your subjects and frames to whatever level your comfortable with....

Wow, are you my professor from college? :er:

Techniques can be learned.
Skills can be sharpened, even if it isn't on an olympic level.

One thing you could try is what Peterson talked about in his book Understanding exposure... that is, take notes when you shoot. Deliberately set up your camera and take some shots noting details that you think are important. Review the pics and then see what you could do different and try again.'

That takes some discipline, but its an alternative.;)

I would listen to this advice definatly - but I would add that I think relaxation is a key thing. Set aside a whole day (or as much as you can) with no hopes of others interupting you then go out to photograph what you like best.
ps if its anywhere public (like a park or zoo) then go during a weekday so as to avoid as many families as possible

haha same here, i spend hours here telling people how to do things better to make their shots better and then mine aren't impressive at all, i even forget the rule of thirds and all, ridiculous really haha

Most reactions

New Topics

Back