Why does this photo suck?!

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I can't figure out why i dont like it that much. Can anyone tell me whats wrong with it? I don't like it but i can't figure out why.

smooth.jpg

The blur in the foreground and background isn't really pleasing. The water looks dirty. The rocks are very dark, the highlights on the water are clipped - not much you could do about that though.

You would have been better off to get very close to the water .... so that it becomes abstract.

The scene itself does not say much.

The big question is ... what did you see that made you take the shot ?

I tried to give it some help, not sure if you'll like it. I edit to my taste - not everyone shares the same taste.

i8I5Z.jpg

Edit looks a lot better the the original that's for sure.

it really does look much better. How did you edit it?! Or what did you do?

it really does look much better. How did you edit it?! Or what did you do?

Well.. I used a plugin call Viveza to edit certain ranges/parts of the image. It works basically by creating control points which are based on the color/brightness of the area you place them on, then you specify how big of the area you want the changes to affect. Basically, toned down the yellow channel. Brightened up some dark areas. Tried to darken the blues and give a little contrast in the mid-tones without boosting the highlights too much.

I think a longer shutter speed would of helped also. The water is kinda blurred but you can still see individual splashes.

I think a longer shutter speed would of helped also. The water is kinda blurred but you can still see individual splashes.

I was thinkin the same thing. Not to mention this water was VERY high so it was basically raging. Haha

The light from the water is reflecting into the lens causing you to use a shorter shutter speed so you don't blow out the image too much, but because of this you're losing the detail of the rocks and other objects that aren't reflecting the light. Like others say, get closer to the water, or use an ND filter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back