What's new

Why is Canon 50mm /1.4 sold out everywhere?

shutter8

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 12, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I went out to a couple of stores near me to buy this lens today, both of them were sold out of it. I tried best buy online and in store they were sold out. It seems it's available on amazon and other photography websites. I'm wondering if Canon is phasing this out because they may be coming up with a new model or something? Or is it just a very popular lens? Any thoughts?
 
Canon are upgrading pretty much their entire EOS line of lenses over the next few years (aiming at 10 or so upgraded/new lenses per year). So there is a distinct possibility that the lack of stock might be a sign that the lens is being phased out of production in preparation for a new version hitting the market. However it won't be for another 6 months or so I expect (you tend to get two big releases of gear per year and canon have not announced anything for the most recent concerning the 50mm).

Further new versions are hitting the market at very high prices (canon are upgrading their price listings) so chances are you'll need to have a significant amount saved up for the new version.
 
I got the last 1.4 from Calumet in San Diego a couple weeks ago. They weren't sure if they would be getting more. They have plenty of 1.8's. Any word on how much the 1.4 might go for? Will it be "that much" better.
 
No word at all from canon so we won't know how much better till it ships (even then we'll have to wait a while for reviews and such to start appearing). There are alternative options - the sigma 50mm f1.4 is currently better overall than the canon (barring some sample errors with AF) so there are good options on the market still.
 
Camera companies make lenses in production runs. Not every lens is in constant production. Typically, around six lenses are being produced at any one time. A line is set up, tolerances and procedures evaluated, adjustments made, and then lenses are cranked out in rapid succession. One the estimated number of lenses of a particular model are built, the line is taken down, and another lens model's line takes its place. THAT is the way Canon and Nikon build lenses. Just because a lens is not available is in absolutely NO WAY an indicator that it is being redesigned, updated, or replaced. What it typically, actually, normally, really, usually means is the manufacturer did not build enough lenses to meet sales demand.
 
I got my delivery from Adorma yesterday. It was $369, but i ended up doing next day shipping because I had to make sure I have it for my brothers wedding this weekend. So far I really like it.
 
hi shutter8

where were you able to get that price for? online?

adorama have it advertised for $449?
 
I hear this magical land called Japan where these things are spawned was shaking a while ago. I don't know, but this may have just a weeee bit of an impact of camera gear availability
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom