Why is it???

Ygrazi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Why is it, that I can take a picture in my studio, it will come out with perfect exposure, Yet the next shot is a bit darker?? Same pose, same distance, same everything.
I can't figure it out!

I have an AB and a nikon speedlight as a bg light on a white bg. Could it be the speedlight is going off a millisecond too late? How would you fix that? Why would it go off simultaneously sometimes and not always?
Also, I am shooting w\ a 50mm lens. When I moved back (my light source is not on the camera) would it in any way make a difference in exposure? What if my subject is moving around? (i.e little kids)

How was the speedlight triggered?

Are shots were taken in manual exposure? (I assume that is the case, but just in case.)

ya if you're getting different results then it's not the same everything. maybe you're not giving the flashes time to recycle properly? maybe the batteries in the speedlight are dying? how are you triggering the 2 lights?

I think it is probably because the batteries were dying causing a big of a lag? I noticed it more towards the end of the shoot, then while looking at the pics I noticed it was just the fill flash that was messing me up... The pics aren't bad per say, but I'd rather them perfect. I think I needed new batteries.

(Manual exposure, speedlight was being set off remotely (wireless))

It sounds like your batteries were next to dead. When they start to die the power can get a bit wonky, which makes the light recycle much slower than normal.

Keep an extra set around next time just in case, if you notice this happening swap the new ones in.

I stopped trying to mix studio lights and speedlites (flash units) because of the different recycle times. It seemed I was always waiting for the flash unit to recycle...or else I didn't wait and got inconsistent results.

So I just bought more studio lights.

Most reactions

Back