why is leica camera so expensive?

so a 5k uptick in price for name? canon, nikon, fuji, olympus, sony all have a name

Leica has a reputation for finely engineered cameras and lenses. It started years ago and they seem to have high quality production and material standards. Personally, I think they are over-priced considering the current market of fine camera gear that is competitively less. Leica users are very loyal to the brand dating back to 1925. I wouldn't mind owning a Leica M2 and a Summicron 50 but I can't justify the price to purchase them and more than likely having to pay for a CLA on top of it.

Article on why..... THIS is why Leica is so expensive

Excerpt.........

"A very to-the-point answer was given by our own Rod Lawton. "First, Leicas are made in small numbers, which is more expensive. Second, they're made for engineering quality without any regard for price. Leica fans see this and embrace it, but value-seekers think the prices are insane."
The fact is that, for over 100 years, many Leica cameras have been made, machined and/or assembled by hand at its Willy Wonka-like factory in Wetzlar, Germany."

you must excel in something to compete ... Leica does it in price ... usual photographer is not going to buy $5000 camera just for a name (and that it's made in Germany) so theirs audience are mostly not photographers ...

For the same reason a ROLEX watch costs so much, or a ROLLS ROYCE motorcar.

Because it is an excellent camera and has developed a "Pride of Ownership". Also, a Leica has the reputation being extremely quiet in operation.

These are nuances that are worth the extra bucks to some folks.

Its a badge of fame.

They have a crap load of "high end famous photographers" who use their gear.

The people who buy leica well, lets just say they have bad ideas on how to spend money.

Example, the Fed/Zorki cameras... somehow made by Soviet workers in a soviet plant "not utilizing" the "ethics and thoughts" of the german workers...

Yet these same cameras are used on a daily basis to fake genuine leica and most cant tell a difference

Reactions: ntz
The fact that the high-end photographers use Leica gear tells you they are tough enough for professional use and abuse. So there is more than just name status.

Are they tougher, stronger or jump higher than the other name brands? No.

Also, not every professional likes or uses one, or feel he must have one.

As pointed out, there are dozens of long extinct cameras companies, who made products were every bit as good as their competition. But sales markets are fickle. The winners developed a winning strategy, the losers did not.

Leicas are Veblen Goods which confer high status on the possessor. It is a peculiarity of this class of objects that demand increases as the price goes up. Other examples include luxury cars, expensive champagne, and solid gold watches.

Like the old TV ad said, "because they are darn well worth it".

They know their market, people who want the highest quality possible and are willing to pay for it. So they make very few to stay in business.

Like the old TV ad said, "because they are darn well worth it".

They know their market, people who want the highest quality possible and are willing to pay for it. So they make very few to stay in business.
I'm not convinced that they are all that.

IMHO they are similar in concept to a MONT BLANC plastic 'PRECIOUS RESIN' pen for $500 and up while you can get a superior functioning, metal, similar sized CROSS CENTURY II or WATERMAN HEMISPHERE for $50 to $100.

The fact is that Leica can't sell cameras if they sell them cheap. The high price is an attractive element of the Leica. Not to say the Leica isn't worth its price. I do think they are worth it. Resell values are good.

Most reactions

Back