Why is Peter Lik's work so valuable?

He hires salepeople instead of art critiques to sell his art. Many of them sold high end cars (ferraris etc) before moving to his galleries. They sell, they dont know squat about photography. If you try to talk to them it is painful.

Hiring sales people to sell something?

Boy, that's one Helluva' concept.

I would bet that the lion's share of Lik's customers are not photographers. Ergo, he needs salespeople, not photographers posing as salespeople, to sell his product.

If I go buy a car, I really don't need to know the intricacies of how it was constructed, so I don't need someone who builds cars to sell me one...

He hires salepeople instead of art critiques to sell his art. Many of them sold high end cars (ferraris etc) before moving to his galleries. They sell, they dont know squat about photography. If you try to talk to them it is painful.

I would bet that the lion's share of Lik's customers are not photographers. Ergo, he needs salespeople, not photographers posing as salespeople, to sell his product.

If I go buy a car, I really don't need to know the intricacies of how it was constructed, so I don't need someone who builds cars to sell me one...

Well I know that when I sell at an art fair, I do the selling and boy do I suck at it. Id like to hire someone but cant afford it, and cant afford it because I didnt hire someone :p

I wonder how much better sales wise more artists would do if they had a competant sales staff behind them.

Well I know that when I sell at an art fair, I do the selling and boy do I suck at it. Id like to hire someone but cant afford it, and cant afford it because I didnt hire someone :p

I wonder how much better sales wise more artists would do if they had a competant sales staff behind them.

I've been in sales since retiring from the military 12 years ago. For the most part, "sales is sales". If you can sell cars, you can sell jewelry. If you sell jewelry, you can sell stereos. The basics of sales are a constant, regardless of what you're selling...

I've been in sales since retiring from the military 12 years ago. For the most part, "sales is sales". If you can sell cars, you can sell jewelry. If you sell jewelry, you can sell stereos. The basics of sales are a constant, regardless of what you're selling...

I agree for the most part, but I think you need at least a little knowledge about the piece you are selling, some experience.. Driving a stick is different than an automatic... leather seats vs vinyl in the summer time... Or cloth... Trunk space, golf club room, sound system, navigation, handling, maintenance etc... Having those experiences you can relate to the customer... If you've never owned or driven a car, it will be obvious to the customer when they start asking questions.

Attack of the zombie thread!

Attack of the zombie thread!

As I said on another thread, I got locked out and thought the site was down but it turns out I just had to log in on a computer and look at some event thing that happened in 2013 but had locked me from doing anything till I read it, but they wasn't clear on the app I use to navigate the forum.

So these were the last threads I had subscribed too, sorry about the resurrections haha

It is likely that some rich guy liked his mediocre, easy access art, and from there a name was made for himself. It's marketing more than anything.

Really though, his stuff isn't really that valuable. And given the large number of editions he produces, it's probably a foolish investment. I'd venture to guess he's not someone who will have the same name he does now in twenty years.

Most reactions

Back