Why not ISO 200?

SquirrelNuts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I generally see everyone using either ISO 100 (which I prefer) or ISO 400, but never ISO 200...why is this? I understand that ISO 200 is only one stop away from either 100 or 400, but is there another reason?

-SquirrelNuts

I used to use ISO 200 color 35mm all the time; Kodak Gold 200 was my snapshot film of choice. But these days I just don't use much color, and I hardly ever shoot 35mm.

It's just personal preference. Sometimes ISO 200 may seem like "fence sitting"; you know, either go for the fine grain, or go for the speed.

And also that there are a lot more choices in ISO 100 and 400. There are very few choices in ISO 200 BW, and if you look at pro films you'll tend to find ISO 160 rather than ISO 200.

I think a lot of folks do shoot ISO 400 film at ISO 200.

If I recall right 200 ISO came out in the mid. to late 80’s with the boom in 35mm point and shoots. I get 200 when I buy 35mm at the drugstore. And it has worked fine for me.

I am refering to black and white films, and this is only speculation but...

ISO ratings are just suggestions. In most cases, they are poor suggestions. When shooting Ilford Hp5+, most people will find that it is infact a stop slower, ISO 200. The reality of ISO numbers is that they are a place to start. I'm not sure this answers your question, but maybe it gives you an idea of what ISO settings are about.

ISO ratings are just suggestions. In most cases, they are poor suggestions. When shooting Ilford Hp5+, most people will find that it is infact a stop slower, ISO 200. The reality of ISO numbers is that they are a place to start. I'm not sure this answers your question, but maybe it gives you an idea of what ISO settings are about.

Most reactions

Back