Why should I buy Lightroom?

MikeBcos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Those who use Lightroom swear by it so I thought I would ask, what would it do for me?

Currently I use Photoshop CS3 and CS4 (depending on which computer I am on) with Adobe Bridge.

I use the Bridge downloader to take the images off my card, it dumps the Raw images and jpg in a folder on my file server, it also converts the Raw to DNG and copies the DNG plus another jpg to a backup folder on a different computer. I then use Bridge to tag and sort the Raw images, dump them into categorized folders and separate the really good ones I want to process for possible printing.

The jpgs are dumped into another folder on the server that my slide show screensaver pulls from, this plays on a monitor in the family room all the time.

The main problem with this method is that I have two folders of images on two computers to sort and tag but for the peace of mind the two copies give me I'm willing to deal with it.

Now, how do you use Lightroom? Could it improve my workflow and make it more efficient? What will it do that Bridge and Photoshop can't?

Photoshop and Lightroom were designed with different intentions. LR is focused on RAW processing and workflow... non-destructive editing.

from your description, it sounds like photo management is something you require. That is far better in LR2 than photoshop.

Why don't you decide for yourself. LR2 can be downloaded for a free trial.

I like em both and paid for neither...lol

I say try the free trial from Lightroom. If you don't answer your own question the the answer is you shouldn't buy it.

But if like the rest of us it becomes an addiction worthy legislating against... well join the club :)

something that totally changed the way i use lightroom is the Killer Lightroom Tips and Tricks podcast.. I had been using Lightroom for a year, and I knew I wasnt using it to it's full potential, then I found the above podcast... it's completely changed my work flow.. I now use lightroom almost exclusivly, hardly ever have to bring a photo into photoshop, because of the things that podcast has taught me.

as for why you should get LR.. it's an amazing program, it allows you to do everything you need to do as a photographer, catalog, develop, and it has some amazing print templates for if you are doing things like portraits (or anything really) but its really good if you do portraits) I strongly recommend that you check out the podcast to see what its all about.. you wont be let down.

and to the guy who stole LR.. shame on you, this program is well worth the money.

Thanks for the responses. I wanted to ask for opinions before I downloaded a trial because I prefer to load the minimum software possible on my computers, it keeps them running faster. I've found that all software leaves traces of itself in the registry when you uninstall and even those traces will slow a system down.

Chris almost has me convinced to download it and try it anyway.

I haven't used Lightroom, but I do use Raw Shooter Essentials...(which Adobe bought out when developing Lightroom). The main benefits are the way you can efficiently edit/convert a large number of RAW files.

Also, Lightroom is a non-destructive workflow. When you make edits/changes, the file is not actually changed at all...but Lightroom records the changes and stores them in a separate file. This way, you can make as many changes as you like and it will not destroy the integrity of the original image. The changes are only applied when you want to output an image file.

It doesn't replace Photoshop for pure image editing...but it does allow you to make a lot of the adjustments and small edits that photographers do. Many photographers that I've talked to, use Photoshop much less once they have Lightroom figured out.

lol...you guys think i stole..The company i used to work for updates it regularly and i get the old stuff...they got cs4 i get cs3...etc.

I haven't used Lightroom, but I do use Raw Shooter Essentials...(which Adobe bought out when developing Lightroom). The main benefits are the way you can efficiently edit/convert a large number of RAW files.

Camera Raw does the same thing, you can apply edits to a batch of files, On Monday I used Camera Raw to batch convert 1700 DNG files to high resolution jpgs, it did it easily.

Also, Lightroom is a non-destructive workflow. When you make edits/changes, the file is not actually changed at all...but Lightroom records the changes and stores them in a separate file. This way, you can make as many changes as you like and it will not destroy the integrity of the original image. The changes are only applied when you want to output an image file.

Camera Raw does the same, it records all the changes in a separate xmp file, the original is not changed.

It doesn't replace Photoshop for pure image editing...but it does allow you to make a lot of the adjustments and small edits that photographers do. Many photographers that I've talked to, use Photoshop much less once they have Lightroom figured out.

I don't use Photoshop on my images much, I prefer to get the image as right as possible straight out of the camera and any minor adjustments, lightening shadows etc. I do in Camera Raw.

lol...you guys think i stole..The company i used to work for updates it regularly and i get the old stuff...they got cs4 i get cs3...etc.

It might have been better if you had said that in the first place. :)

When I first started using a DSLR I really got hooked on processing the photos. One day I realized that what I enjoyed was taking pictures, not sitting in front of the computer. I want a program that will let me do what I want to do as quickly and easily as possible. For me, that's LR2, so far.

I'm still using Photoshop CS...and the Camera RAW isn't all that great. I know I can apply some things in batch...but it's nowhere near as easy as RSE. I didn't know that ACR would save an XMP file.

I'd still give it a try with the trial version.

I love lightroom. It allows me to do a photoshoot, sort everything to my liking. Edit all 50 or so of the keepers to give to the model for her selection, then take my 3 or 4 favorite for my portfolio, only load those into photoshop for the intense editing.

Before i used LR, i would dread having to pull all those images into photoshop. Doesn't flow the same at all. Saves me a lot of time and the organization is great. I highly recommend scott kelbys lightroom 2 book

Most reactions

New Topics

Back