Why so much Nikon?

Lowrider

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Have been watching the marketplace for a while and there seems like most of the gear for sell is Nikon. Not wanting to start a Canon vs. Nikon battle, but it seems like it has to be one of these:

1. This forum tends to cater to Nikon users.
2. No one sells Canon once they own it.
3. There is just a lot more Nikon gear out there.

Really just curious as to why the marketplace is so heavily weighted with Nikon.

The reason is that there are more Nikon users that like to visit this forum that like to buy and sell their Nikon equipment.

Or:
4. You're mistaken.

Not saying that to be mean--I found your observation interesting, because I was recently looking for some new lenses and such for my Nikon, and had the opposite feeling sometimes...seemed like everything getting put up for sale was Canon...or really *expensive* Nikon.

Out of curiosity, I just did my own incredibly unscientific research on the matter. My search yielded 5 pages of Nikon equipment for sale (or WTB) since about last August, versus 4 pages for Canon. Not really that much difference.

It will probably feel like there's "nothing" for whichever you are shopping for because you want something specific and aren't finding it. ;)

Nikon owners are particularly restless these last few months since the D4 came out and the D800 will be coming out this week.
Everybody is re-evaluating, crop-frame people are planning to move to FF, D700 people are looking for a D800 or another D700.
Lots of restiveness.

And you don't need to say 'expensive Nikon', that's redundant.:lol:

Nikon owners are particularly restless these last few months since the D4 came out and the D800 will be coming out this week.
Everybody is re-evaluating, crop-frame people are planning to move to FF, D700 people are looking for a D800 or another D700.
Lots of restiveness.

And you don't need to say 'expensive Nikon', that's redundant.:lol:

Bingo, I was going to write literally the exact same thing. This is Nikon's release year. They have a new lens and 3 camera bodies coming out.

I checked Fredmiranda's buy/sell section and there were almost twice as many results for a search of "Canon" vs the search for "Nikon".

There are more Canon users in the world than Nikon users because Canon has a bigger market share
Yep.

Canon is a much larger company than Nikon is. Canon makes and sells a broader range of products too.

But, that doesn't mean they make a better product either.

I've always found the opposite to be the case. E-Bay and Craigs list usually has alot more canon equipment than Nikon.

I would guess that one reason may be Nikon's lens mount. The fact that almost every nikkor lens ever made(obtrusive fisheyes are a no no, and pre AI need modification) will mount to almost every nikon body every made. So when someone is shopping for used they have more variety.

I just picked up a nikkor 300mm f4.5 AIS and it is sweet! No metering on the D90, oh well.

Nikon introduced it's F-mount in 1959. It has been virtually unchanged since.

jake337 doesn't mention that Canon has changed their lens mount many times over the years, so backwards compatibility gets somewhat confusing.

Grab pencil and paper to take notes on the chronology of Canon's assortment of lens mounts.

In 1959 Canon used their R-mount.

Which got dropped in favor of the FL-mount in 1964.

Then in 1971 the FL-mount was replaced by the FD-mount.

In 1987 Canon introduced the EOS, Electro-Optical System that eliminated all mechanical connections between their camera bodies an lenses. And yet another new mount, the EF-mount, which is still in use today.

Then, in 2003 Canon introduced yet another new mount, the EF-S mount, basically for their entry-level cameras of that time.

So today, Canon has 2 lens mounts in use - EF and EF-S.

Both EF and EF-S lenses can be mounted and used on EF-S Canon camera bodies.

Only EF lenses can be mounted on Canon EF camera bodies.

There will be a test on the plethora of Canon camera mounts on Tuesday. You better skip the Super Bowl and study instead if you want to pass. :thumbup:

Since I've been paying recently, the thought that this is a restless time for Nikon equipment would explain it. Thanks

Where I am at you can get Canon gear galore used/Craigslist. If you want Nikon gear get up early and forget haggling.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back