Why white foam is better than white paper for reflecting light?

photo_abc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, on the net, white foam rather than paper is often used to reflect light. How come? Is there anything special about foam?

Foam-board has some rigidity to it, so it "stays where it is placed". The thickness of foam board also allows some multi-tined foam board "frog gig" type holders to be used. These have typcially four straiught metal tines welded to a strip of steel, and the profile look is somewhat like a capital letter " E ", but with four spikes sticking out from the E....those spikes are carefully driven into the foam board, and then the back of the gig, has a 1/4 x 20 threaded hole in it....that device can then be threaded onto gooseneck arms, which allows foam boards to be placed in to wacky positions in like, 3 seconds.

Foam boards also can be taped together, and then stood upright, in a V-shaped arrangement; paper does not have the rigidity to allow these types of uses. Paper actually WILL WORK as a reflecting medium though, as long as it can be positioned and secured properly. I have used paper sheets many,many times, especially for small fill-light duty.

Foam board is also fairly tough, fairly durable, and very resistant to tearing, and it can be easily held in basic positions using fairly crude, inexpensive "A-clamp" clamps, sold at home improvement stores all over the world, and just clamped to a light stand very rapidly and easily--the same would be pretty difficult to do with thinner, less-rigid paper sheets.

Thanks Trever1t and Derrel for the detailed explanations. For taking photos of metallic cylinder objects and metal plates, is it advisable to make an inverted |_| shape box and also the front cover (with a hole for the camera lens) using foam? The cylinder/spherical objects show reflections of me, the tripod, the ceiling and objects on both sides of them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back