why won't film just die already?!

Waday: what brand and model of mirrorless camera were you using? That could play a big part in battery life. Do you have only an EVF as a viewfinder/composing system, or also an eyelevel or "optical" type of viewfinder option? Do you have one of the new Sony mirrorless cameras with the longer, higher-capoability batteries? Some models of mirrorless cameras do not seem to have very long battery life.
I have an Olympus EM1. I think it might have to do with ac12 keeping his camera turned on all the time compared to turning it off when not in use.

My mirrorless Olympus E-M1 ran about 4 HOURS on a single battery. I needed THREE batteries to shoot a full day. And I had to charge three batteries each night, which meant either two chargers and two charging shifts, or three chargers.
I don't mean to change course, but... was this a photography vacation or a family vacation? When I was out in snowy 30-40 degF weather, shooting all day, I only used one-and-a-half batteries. I usually never have the camera on for longer than it needs to be; I turn it off when not using it. When on family vacations, I can go two days without having to charge it, using the camera when needed. Separately, when I was out on several hikes last year, out all day shooting, I never used more than a single battery to take hundreds of shots each day.

I'm not saying that mirrorless battery life isn't worse than DSLRs (because it is), I'm just surprised at the short-ish lengths you're getting compared to me?

Both.
Just my wife and I. She enjoyed being inside the train car, I enjoyed being on the observation deck shooting.
Because interesting shots came FAST with little or no warning, I had to keep the camera ON, most of the time.
One thing about being in a train, you can't stop to take pictures. You gotta be ready to shoot, and shoot fast.

I think the E-M1-mk2 has a longer battery life, probably by using a larger battery.
I can understand that, and that’s probably the difference—you keeping it turned on vs me turning it on and off.

full disclosure: I work in the Camera industry and I do not like something that I consider to be far far less profitable.
I wouldnt want to buy anything from a company like that.

After all, somebody with that kind of thinking wouldnt make a product that usually lasts longterm, either.

full disclosure: I work in the Camera industry and I do not like something that I consider to be far far less profitable.

After all, somebody with that kind of thinking wouldnt make a product that usually lasts longterm, either.

Things get painfully obsolete way before they wear out.

This is where we circle back to the title of this thread ... some people have not considered film photography obsolete (Darryl still pines for his Tri-X Pan ... though I would say that it sucks compared to Panatomic-X, but that's just my opinion :biggrin-93:).

Really? Point and shoot? The film shooters I know use regular SLRs or TLR like Rolleis. Do you have any actual statistics to support this assertion?

I was doing some digital "behind the scenes" shots on a photoshoot for a fashion lookbook. The 21 y/o that was hired to do the shoot was using a Canon P&S for most of it...at least after her Contax G2 died. She was using portra 400 though... not fujifilm. The lookbook actually turned out really nice, considering it was the look they were going for.

That said, I've been seeing a lot of film cameras out on the streets lately, mostly old SLRs, and a few rangefinders here and there. Rarely p&s.

Personally, I love shooting film and won't stop unless they stop making it. I use film Leicas (can't afford digital) and vintage Nikons (because they're fun). I also have some digital cameras (X100T and D3s) but the photos never really excite me like my film shots do. I know they're probably "technically" better than a scan from 35mm, but whatever.. I'm an artist, I go by emotions and feelings..

I was casually browsing the eBay and noticed that old film cameras are commanding ridiculous prices.
an old Olympus Muji II going for $200, Yashica T4 (zeiss) trading for $400...and the Contax T4 (my old love) going for $1500 to $2000.

Why are people still clinging on to film in the age of far better digital technology?
For me, I won't give up film because you can't get the luster and depth in the black with an ink jet print that you can with a silver oxide paper print. Look at an Ansel Adams, there is detail even in his darkest shadow, the black has a shine/shimmer, not flat like an ink jet.
Fair. But a lot of these film shooters are just using Fuji superia 400 in a old point and shoot camera

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Really? Point and shoot? The film shooters I know use regular SLRs or TLR like Rolleis. Do you have any actual statistics to support this assertion?

I have a Nikon L35AF, 35mm P&S.
It is a great little camera, when I did not want to haul out or around the F2.

I was casually browsing the eBay and noticed that old film cameras are commanding ridiculous prices.
an old Olympus Muji II going for $200, Yashica T4 (zeiss) trading for $400...and the Contax T4 (my old love) going for $1500 to $2000.

Why are people still clinging on to film in the age of far better digital technology?

I still shoot film exclusively. I have shot digital on a few occasions. I much prefer film. I am not opposed to digital. How someone chooses to make their images is their business. I may never own a digital camera. They just do not appeal to me. However, I did just score a NIKON F3.

Attachments

• 3A609EBB-6471-4E4B-9E51-8E22922F15E9.jpeg
    3A609EBB-6471-4E4B-9E51-8E22922F15E9.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 159

Things get painfully obsolete way before they wear out.

... painful what now ?

I use a Nikon D700 and there are many other people who still do. That thing was introduced over 10 years ago.

That thing is build very well (its heavy too, though) and I cant replicate the results with my D750, so I'll keep using it.

My mirrorless Olympus E-M1 ran about 4 HOURS on a single battery. I needed THREE batteries to shoot a full day. And I had to charge three batteries each night, which meant either two chargers and two charging shifts, or three chargers.
I don't mean to change course, but... was this a photography vacation or a family vacation? When I was out in snowy 30-40 degF weather, shooting all day, I only used one-and-a-half batteries. I usually never have the camera on for longer than it needs to be; I turn it off when not using it. When on family vacations, I can go two days without having to charge it, using the camera when needed. Separately, when I was out on several hikes last year, out all day shooting, I never used more than a single battery to take hundreds of shots each day.

I'm not saying that mirrorless battery life isn't worse than DSLRs (because it is), I'm just surprised at the short-ish lengths you're getting compared to me?

Waday: what brand and model of mirrorless camera were you using? That could play a big part in battery life. Do you have only an EVF as a viewfinder/composing system, or also an eyelevel or "optical" type of viewfinder option? Do you have one of the new Sony mirrorless cameras with the longer, higher-capoability batteries? Some models of mirrorless cameras do not seem to have very long battery life.

Back to film and why it still exists: NOBODY (not Nikon,not Canon, not Fuji,not Sony) has ever come close to Tri-X Pan in terms of beautiful B&W tonality. Does it have grain? Why yes, yes it does! Is it the highest-acutance film available? No, no it is not! It is the most-beautiful high-ISO B&W film? Yes, yes it is!

Neopan 400 has the tonality of Tri-X with the grain of Delta 400. Loved that stuff.

Like many here I suspect, I started with film, moved on to digital, lost interest as my voice got lost in the crowd of shouts, only to fall back in love with photography with film again. There is just something about the process, the call, the attention, the creation, the development and the natural the visual image that makes me think film will always be here. Maybe even more so in out hectic, fast-moving times.

Last edited:
I have an Olympus EM1. I think it might have to do with ac12 keeping his camera turned on all the time compared to turning it off when not in use.

Both.
Just my wife and I. She enjoyed being inside the train car, I enjoyed being on the observation deck shooting.
Because interesting shots came FAST with little or no warning, I had to keep the camera ON, most of the time.
One thing about being in a train, you can't stop to take pictures. You gotta be ready to shoot, and shoot fast.

I think the E-M1-mk2 has a longer battery life, probably by using a larger battery.
I can understand that, and that’s probably the difference—you keeping it turned on vs me turning it on and off.

I thought about this a bit.
The meter switch on my film cameras was on the film advance lever. With my thumb, I pulled the lever out a bit to on, pushed it in flush to off. It was very easy and fast to turn the meter on/off.
The power switch on my Nikon D7200 is a ring around the shutter button, which I rotate with my shutter finger. Not quite as fast as the film advance lever but easy to get to and fast to use.
The power switch on the Olympus EM1 and EM10 is like the meter switch on the old film OMs, and requires a deliberate action to turn it on/off. It is definitely NOT fast nor easy to do, as you have to move your left or right hand to the top left deck of the camera to get to the switch.

Probably the worst meter/power switch that I've run into is on the Minolta SRT-101 series cameras. You turned the camera upside down, and used your thumb to rotate a flush button switch to turn the meter on/off. It was such a PiA to use, that my friend turned it on, then left it on, until the shoot was over.

Last edited:
It is definitely NOT fast or easy to do, as you have to move your left or right hand to the top left deck of the camera to get to the switch.
Good point and totally agree. It’s definitely a conscious decision, although I’ve turned it into a habit. :)

Most reactions

Back