Does anyone miss split-circle focusing?

It really is too bad the whole 35mm film cartridge digital back doesn't seem feasible (unless I'm missing certain technologies that might make it so.) it would be great fun to pop one into an old fed or somesuch and surprise the crap out of people when I actually can pop some up on an lcd and show them. I really wish I knew what technology was available for this so I could actually make a reasonable analysis of the feasibility.

The way the camera market has been evolving really bugs me. It seems that unnecessary and bothersome "features" have been creeping in, with the attendant rise in prices as you have noted.

It probably wouldn't be to expensive to make a basic camera like that, including split-circle manual focusing. With competition the way it is, I am really surprised that none of the DSLR camera companies have addressed this segment of the market.

Yup.. totally agree.. you sound just like me. I discovered that I enjoyed cameras that were not packed full of features and complexity.

Unfortunately, a basic camera with all your wishes would STILL be EXPENSIVE. No matter how simple the camera design, the market for such camera is extremely small. The price would be high to make up for the cost of materials to duplicate the "feel" of the old trusty metal mechanical wonders (plastic versus brass, mirrors versus optical glass prisms etc) and R&D. It would have make up the costs from a very small production and consumer base.

Case in point..

Voigtander film based rangefinders.... affordable but still expensive when you consider a plastic film camera today is just over $100.

Epson R-D1 digital rangefinder... very very small production numbers at $3000+ USD each. Epson STILL lost money in the project.

Leica M8... expensive because of the red dot BUT REALLY expensive because the small niche market.

small niche market == expensive.

In regard to split screen retrofits...

A lot of consumer level DSLRS (Rebels for example), have dark viewfinders. I'm not convinced that retrofiting a split screen would improve your ability to focus manually any more than the "green dot" focus confirmation already in the camera. Lets not forget that the newer AF lenses are not ideal for focusing manual either.... the focusing ring is often not damped enough

btw... I find the overlapping patch (not sure what to call it) in rangefinders is far easier to focus than even split screens.

You couldn't beat them with fast lenses, but were a nuisance using long, slow teles where half the circle would black out on you.

The focusing ring on some of my lenses have a real long turning radius, and sometimes when you think you're in focus going by the matte screen, you're not. That's where the split image screens really shine because you can bring those lenses into perfect focus.

Last edited:
You couldn't beat them with fast lenses, but were a nuisance using long, slow teles where half the circle would black out on you.

Same with bellows macro, PITA but still superior to just the matte screen, especially when ones eyeballs ain't what they used to be.

A lot of consumer level DSLRS (Rebels for example), have dark viewfinders. I'm not convinced that retrofiting a split screen would improve your ability to focus manually any more than the "green dot" focus confirmation already in the camera. Lets not forget that the newer AF lenses are not ideal for focusing manual either.... the focusing ring is often not damped enough

I might have agreed with you even while I looked at the KatzEye site months ago and wished I had the money for a screen for my Rebel XT. This thanksgiving my little brother came to visit me in Boston and he had installed one in his XT. It's glorious - reminded me of using my Mom's old Olympus OM-1. It improvies your ability to focus just fine and made manual focusing an absolute blast.

I'm getting one as soon as I can.

I def. would not mind a split ring in my SLR. I'd have killed for one the other night trying to take outdoor shots in almost pitch black, and I couldn't let the flash trigger to find the focus....

Well I sent an email to Canon. I think that if we all flood them with emails on this, they just might do something....

I don't miss them at all. I changed the screens on my FA and Fm2n shortly after getting the cameras in the 70's. My slow lenses and less than bright light made them useless. I've been using the matte screens ever since. Murray

Yeah I would love to see the return of split prims or, the center circle looking like pixels when out of focus but, clear with it in.

I really do not know what everyone is complaining about. They are available after market, and they work perfectly. No metering problems at all, focusing is perfect. They will never appear on cameras as standard because people don't care for them anymore. When I say people I don't mean the 40 people in this thread, I mean the 100000 other customers who are happy using the faster and more accurate auto focus (usually anyway). The same customers who don't know about split prisms or focusing aids. As for the pros, notice that the D2 manuals actually have instructions of how to change the screens in the manual? There is an option for every camera, some are even approved by manufacturers.

I bought a Katzeye screen last year. It's a god send, but really only occasionally. Regardless how you focus, I've never seen anyone focus faster or more accurately than a modern slient wave / phase detection autofocus system. But I still use it quite a bit. It works without issue on my D200, it works without issue on my friends Canon Rebel XTi (who bought one as soon as he found it it was under $100).

The bottom line is we'll always be a minority who use these screens. So why not just buy them.

Also the OP's concerns are entirely unfounded. IF the circle screws with the metering then all basic bodies can easily just set exposure compensation. And anything above the basic bodies (D200 and up) can in the menu set an exposure compensation override just like normal EV comp except that it doesn't appear on the camera controls or EXIF.

I mean the 100000 other customers who are happy using the faster and more accurate auto focus (usually anyway). The same customers who don't know about split prisms or focusing aids.

You are talking about the people who bought their cameras because Ashton Kucher and Avril Leveine have one right....

Most reactions

Back