WHY WON'T THIS WEEK END?!?!?

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so first there was the TORNADO! incident on Sunday........ and now last night my dog was attacked by a wandering Pit-Bull.

I was in the basement loading ammo for the coming zombie invasion, and I heard the dogs putting up a fuss. I didn't think much of it, since that isn't unusual. If someone walks a dog past my house, the dogs bark for 30 seconds, and that's it.

Well, my fiance decided to open the back door to see what was going on, and my dog pushed past her, and into our fenced backyard. he had gone down the steps, and from seemingly nowhere a pitbull had pushed our gate open and latched on to my dog's neck. No bark, no growl, just latched. Two neighbor ladies saw this, and ran into my yard to try seperate them. At this time, my fiance yelled down the staris for me, and I went up to see what was going on. When I saw the commotion, I ran out to help the two ladies
out. We tried prying the jaws...... no good. not even with a thick stick. I started kicking the dog in the ribs, and punching it in the head (which in retrospect turned out to be a very bad idea..... I'm pretty sure I fractured a knuckle or two) also to no avail. Eventually I told my SO to run to my safe and get my gun. While she was away running that errand, we were finally able to seperate the two dogs and get mine inside. I backed the offending dog out of my yard (no need for the gun, thank God the dog was not agressive towards people) and closed the gate. We got a lead around the dog and called animal control. Crazy night. my dog seems to be fine, but time will tell. The bite didn't break the skin, just took out a chunk of fur. Thank goodness Hank is a hairy little beast.

The other pisser about all of this is that when the SO went to the safe to get the handgun, she accidentally dropped the Nikon Rangefinder I had just sold on eBay the night before, damaging the mechanism that locks the back plate on. I'm hoping the gentleman who purchased it will take a sizable partial refund instead of demanding a full.

Time will tell on that one.

Wow, what a crazy week. I'd like for it to be over. I'm too old for this kind of excitement in my life.

Sounds crazy, Pitts don't feel a thing on their heads, you'd need a 2x4 to get their attention for sure. Same thing happened to me years ago.

But hey! Put things into perspective, there's a lot of people doing worse, eh?

Wow Strad hope your week does get better and the little pooch turns out to be fine. I have two pitties and they are good dogs with incredible strength in their jaws. I would like it to be noted that the jaws don't actually "lock" they are just very strong. A few years back I was at a gas station and since I always take my buddy Bruiser everywhere with me, he was riding shotgun. While I was inside the counter girl let out a scream and when I looked over all I saw was some guy wearing a motorcycle helmet punching my dog in the head. I ran out and another pitbull, significantly larger than mine, had attacked my dog through the drivers window of my car. Well my dog having the vantage of being higher had gotten a hold of this dogs neck and was jerking him in through the window. Now my dog listens better then any dog I have ever had but wasn't going to let go with a simple "NO!!!!" screamed in his ear, after-all that dog had intruded upon his area. It took me prying with a crescent wrench and actually twisting it towards the back of his mouth to get him to let go.

So I guess my whole reasoning for commenting at all is to express my well wishes for your dog and hope that this doesn't turn into a Pitbull bashing. They are good dogs and I hope that they track down the owner and cite them for their carelessness. Oh and I guess to also say that to get the jaws to loosen all you need is a crescent wrench.

and hope that this doesn't turn into a Pitbull bashing.

Not my intent. Not even a little.

The owner was found by the time the animal control folks arrived, and said the dog was a rescue, and a known "bait" dog for fighting according to the humane society. The dog had been rescued under the understanding that it was extremely dog aggressive. The owner had a fenced in yard, and the dog dug out.

In regards to the attack, I'm sure the dog was only doing what it was trained to do.

It's hardly ever the dogs fault. I'd say 98% of the time its the asshole at the other end of the leash to blame.

and hope that this doesn't turn into a Pitbull bashing.

It's hardly ever the dogs fault. I'd say 98% of the time its the asshole at the other end of the leash to blame.

Exactly. Oh, I also want to say that I didn't think that was your intent either, I have just seen how quickly something like this can spiral out of control. Here is a good example: When my wife and I got together her mother warned her that if my dog licked the kids' faces that he would then have their taste in his mouth and be driven to "bite their faces off". Honest to god that is what this woman believes. (Maybe that explains my quickness to defend pitbulls, thats my little dog syndrome).

Last edited:
I'm starting to think that Minneapolis may not be the city for you! Hope your week has gotten a little better since you posted last!

Wow! This is clearly not your week, Mr. Whovious. I'm glad to hear your doggie is okay, and that no skin was broken. If your dog has a lot of fur, it's always a good idea to check the area that may be harmed (which i am sure you did). You may also want to look into carrying mace around when you walk your dog for just that reason.

My grandfather's Sheltie, Max, was attacked by a large dog last year. Several wounds and broken skin. Max was bleeding for about an hour before my grandfather noticed he was injured much worse than he though. Sheltie's have a lot of fur, so the blood didn't show through, he just could feel it when he pet him. At least the dog's owners covered Max's medical bills, and he's still alive and kicking today.

I'm starting to think that Minneapolis may not be the city for you! Hope your week has gotten a little better since you posted last!

Yeah, maybe so..... I've been here for 13 years now, and this week is the most drama I have ever had whilst in MN.

Except for 2 years ago when that tornado down Portland ave bought me a new roof..... that was a close one too.

Gee, maybe Minneapolis isn't the best town for me! :lol:

And thanks for the thoughts on the dog folks, this morning he was perky and all smiles so I'm pretty sure he will be just fine.

Sorry to hear about your crappy week. What a scary thing to go through but I'm glad your dog is ok.

Being someone who loves wildlife and my dog dearly, I probably would have shot it anyway.

Being someone who loves wildlife and my dog dearly, I probably would have shot it anyway.

A large crowd of people had formed to watch. A ways off for sure (200 feet or so), but a crowd none the less. I love my dog very much, but after all is said and done, he is still just a dog. Although I did have the gun in my hand backing the dog out of my yard (away from the crowd) there would be no way in hell I would have pulled the trigger unless it was me who was attacked, and I had a clear shot. Far too dangerous.

Like I said before, luckily it wasn't necessary. The dog was submissive to people, and was easy to handle once it was out of my yard, and my dog was in the house.

It was a very eye opening experinece on many, many levels.

And to those of you who want to step up on your holier than thou soapbox and tell me why I'm the problem... you know, owning a gun and all.... stow it. Let's not ruin this thread with that bull**** too.

Thanks.

I'd say 98% of the time its the asshole at the other end of the leash to blame.

I have to agree with that. And the shelters have so many Pitts... At that time all of my dogs had come from either shelters or rescues but I would not save a Pitt or any other breed that people tend to think of as fighting dogs because it is just too dangerous since we have no real idea what their background is. I hate to say it but unless the dog's history can be verified, it should be destroyed.

I almost shot a Pitt last year. It came rushing at me from across the street and the owner had no control over it. Although he did stop screaming at the dog when he saw my gun :( I managed a good kick that stopped him (thank god I was working on my house and was wearing heavy work boots) and that was the end of that. Because the dog was just being stupid. But I explained to the owner that if his dog ever did this to me again I would put a bullet in its head because I didn't know his dog and had no idea what its intentions were...

Never saw the dog again. Felt bad for it but I'm not about to take chances on an unknown quantity. Too many badly trained dogs out there.

Hope your week ends better than it started.

Most reactions

Back