Why would I need two bodies?

long and short... as Jay50oh already suggested.
i use my D90 for my 70-200 and my D50 for my 18-55. i think i'm going to replace the D50 with another D90 though. i was waiting for the D300s but it doesn't offer anywhere near $1000 more in functionality.

i use my D90 for my 70-200 and my D50 for my 18-55. i think i'm going to replace the D50 with another D90 though. i was waiting for the D300s but it doesn't offer anywhere near $1000 more in functionality.
Actually, many think the D300s easily offers $1000 more in functionality over the D90.

Actually, many think the D300s easily offers $1000 more in functionality over the D90.

3 more fps, 40 more AF points, weather sealed, 100% viewfinder, dual cf slots and fine tune af. i can see how some could find these features useful but there's no way i could convince myself to spend $1000 more for those additional features.

^^^ Especially when none of your memory is going to work with the D300s, so you're stuck buying CF vs SD.

My first thought was... if you don't know the answer yourself... you don't need it. ;)

3 more fps, 40 more AF points, weather sealed, 100% viewfinder, dual cf slots and fine tune af.

Add faster AF acquisition, improved image rendering, better high ISO/low noise to the mix, and it starts to make a much bigger difference. The first time you get caught in the rain with a D300 you chuckle... the same issue with a D90 pretty much relegates the camera to an expensive paper weight.

First time you purchase a lens that back focuses, you will feel frustration... with a D300, a 5 min process takes that lens to razor sharpness.

There are viable example after example that could be cited, however, everyone has a budget that they will respect... however, those that could really take advantage of those differences and REALLY thought out their purchase (ie: do their homework), will often make the decision to wait 1-2 extra months, do without, work harder and save a little longer and get the best that they can afford... and their photography will ALWAYS thank them for it.

^^^ Especially when none of your memory is going to work with the D300s, so you're stuck buying CF vs SD.

Meh... if you can afford the thousand dollars difference, you SHOULD be able to afford the $100 more for a good CF card. And it is not like you need 32gb of media storage from day 1... you can always save up and get more later.

And it's always nice to have that camera that you AREN'T worried about.

My second body get's hung out the car with a reserve lens for stuff like this:
ChevyAd.jpg

A single errant rock destroys everything. But I'm not worried about it. :)

I agree. Your D70s is the perfect candidate for things that you don't want to subject your D300 to.

I'm trying to figure this out, too, though more from the standpoint of, "Should I obtain a second body at the moment?" I would definitely keep my current body, even though it's 4 years old, if I do get a new (additional) one. There are two main reasons. First, as a backup, possibly to keep with me at times in case of instances where I'd be thinking, "Gee, if only I had my camera with me right now I could get the perfect shot!" But also for the wedding I'm doing next month I would leave my 35mm f/1.4 prime on the current body and probably just keep my 70-200mm f/2.8 on the new body. The second reason is for those cases where I really have missed shots due to not having a second body - mostly for astrophotography cases.

Oh, and not to thread-jack, but since this thread is somewhat related and has more people than my thread ... if you can offer me advice about a new/additional camera, please see my thread: At What Point Do You Upgrade to a New/Additional DSLR?

I recommend the 5D. Original if budget is limited, 5DmkII if budget allows. iDmkIII if you stretch it.

When the time comes for me to grab a D300 (which, by then, might be a D900 :lol:), I'll just toss my D80 in the trunk and periodically re-charge the battery, just to have it always available.

Right now, it's too valuable to just leave it in the car.

Jon

Well I keep a second body as a good luck charm. Murphys Law states that if you dont have a back up your only one will screw up.

Most reactions

Back