Why?

It's the internet. Grammar rules go out the window. Sucks but that's how people think of it.

I'm with the first guy in this thread. Maybe not as angry, but we agree in principle. We can all ignore the occasional typo or misspelling or the post from the guy from Finland, but believe it or not, your language does make an impression.

Now maybe you're so bright and you have insight so keen and knowledge so broad that it's in my best interest to make an effort to wade through the gibberish you call writing. But don't flatter yourself. Most of the time I'm not gonna make that effort and your stuff just goes unread. If that doesn't bother you, then it doesn't bother me either.

It's like the guy who shows up to work in sweatpants. Maybe he's the best there is at whatever it is he does and we need to cut him some slack in the personal-hygiene department. But more often than not, he just comes off as lazy or dumb.

Which begs the question, which is worse, lazy or dumb? And if you were to be perceived as one or the other, which would you choose?

Make the effort and learn to write.

Here's another analogy. I used to be a newspaper photographer. Often I'd go through galleries of award-winning photographs. (The publishing industry likes to give out awards in lieu of pay.) Occasionally you'd see one that was poorly composed and maybe a little out of focus, but the image was so powerful that it overcame all that. You'd find yourself thinking, "Holy crap, how the hell'd she end up standing where she was standing at the moment that image was made?"

But me? I ain't that good. Everything I submitted for publication was well lit and in focus and assembled the best way I knew how. I paid attention to my work. I wasn't good enough to do otherwise. It's the same way with writing. Sometimes you can get away with sloppy, but I wouldn't count on it.

My pet peeve is for example "their coming to dinner." It's "They're coming to Dinner!"

Haha! this thread hilarious.

I've been posting on internet forums and texting on cellphones for so long now, that I've given up on expecting people to form complete sentences and words. Its just not going to happen.

But, I still hate it when people can't discern from "your and you're" and from "they're, their and there". It drives me bonkers, especially when I see it in professional emails at work. :x My supervisor is notorious for it. His excuse is: "The Spell Check doesn't pick it up, so it must be right." *slaps forehead*

Haha! this thread hilarious.

this thread hilarious? you steal soul with magic box. make sky god angry.

Hahahahaa!!

So kiddies, do you all see what happens when you pick on other people's faults? You end up doing exactly what they do, and look like an even bigger moron! Guess that's Karma baby. :mrgreen:

persistent-fail.jpg

Why sh0uLd d1z b0th3r joo s0 much? S0undz wub joo h4v3 t00 much t1m3 0n y0 h4andz.

Most reactions

Back