Save me from the GAS

Jonahnieuwe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

This thread is written by me because I’m surrounded by a thick cloud of gas and can’t take pictures anymore. It’s a cry for help, a supplication for peace of mind. And I hope your insights will help me get just that.

So who am I?
My name is Jonah and I’m from the Netherlands (so if there are some spelling mistakes, that’s why). I’m 17 years old. I pay for all my gear myself (I’m not pampered by my parents, well maybe a little but they don’t sponsor my photo equipment). I’m really bad at desision making and I really like photography.

The first real camera I bought myself was a secondhand fujifilm x-t2 with the 35 f2, I know, I know not really a starters camera. But after years of watching tutorials, photographers, vlogging photographers etc. I knew a lot more about photography then a lot of people who owned a camera.

So you would asume everything was perfect, but there was always this feeling of doubt. Did I buy into the right system? Does this fit my needs? What are my needs? Who am I? And a whole bunch of deep philosophical questions of that nature. So this weekend I tried the fujifilm x-Pro2, maybe it would fit my large hands with long small fingers better and I would like the feeling of my nose not being pushed onto a screen. But boy was I wrong the xpro 2 felt horrible in comparison to the xt2.

So are most likely thinking to yourself at this point: “what a beautiful story, but when is he gonna give me some concrete information on which I can base my well thought out comment?”. The answere to that question is: right now!

1. State your budget. Knowing how much you have to spend will allow people to accurately suggest equipment that is the best in your price range.

€3000

2. State what you have currently. This will allow for proper compatibility in the suggestions.

Fujifilm x-t2, fujifilm x-Pro2, fujifilm 35 f2

3. State your intentions. Taking photos of birds from a quarter mile away and photos of bugs require vastly different setups.

In a half year I will be finished with high school and I will be traveling for about a year, so ofcourse I want to take my camera equipment with me. I realize this will probably include almost all types of photography namely: landscape day and night, animals/wildlife, city/street, (winter) sports. I do realize there is no camera best at all these things and certainly not in my price range.

4. State your skill level. Don't be bashful, if you don't know what a function does or why you need something, ask away.

When speaking about using a camera and it’s functions, shooting full manual etc. I believe I’m pretty skilled, I’m young and good with tech and understanding the physics behind photography. If we talk about skill in the way of having a good eye for composition and light I think I do have aptidute but need some more practice and experience.

I first chose the xt2 for the small compact body, so it would be easy to travel with. But now I realize that the same lenses for the same sensor size are roughly the same volume. Should have figured that out a long time ago. And I will be wearing a backpack for my gear anyway so weight and size isn’t really an issue, I’m young and sporty so I like a little bit of weight for an extra challenge ;-).

So after reading my own story I realize that it’s still is a little vague, but I really don’t know what I have to add to make it all crystal clear, if I knew I wouldn’t need your guidance.

Please if you want to know more ask me!

Kind regards,

Jonah

Welcome to the forum.

Don't get caught up in equipment races / specification chases. Now if the body you have doesn't feel comfortable. Yes, that's one reason to change. There is no such thing as a beginners camera. Any camera can act as a beginners camera. Just some are quicker to learn as they are not as complicated.

Unless your really uncomfortable with the current body you have. I would spend my money on more lenses. With the exception of if your going to jump systems (change brands) in the near future. But I suggest you stick with what you have and learn its pros and cons a little longer. That will give you the best advise on what to upgrade too in the future. Because it's based on your opinions and knowldge gained. Not buy us, who most likely have different shooting styles, likes, and dislikes. And even physical attributes.

As for a mental block on what to photograph. Just put the camera down for a little while (hours, days, weeks). Get online or go to library and look at some pictures by others. different styles, subjects, etc. You might run into something you might want to try. Don't take pictures for the sake of taking pictures. Take them because you see something. Don't force it. If you have the blah's (or gas as you put it) just do something else for a little while.

You have a top-tier camera that was built for travelling lads like yourself, and you're fortunate to have such a kit. I agree with Ben...take that money can buy some great glass to go with your XT2.

Welcome to the forum.

Don't get caught up in equipment races / specification chases. Now if the body you have doesn't feel comfortable. Yes, that's one reason to change. There is no such thing as a beginners camera. Any camera can act as a beginners camera. Just some are quicker to learn as they are not as complicated.

Unless your really uncomfortable with the current body you have. I would spend my money on more lenses. With the exception of if your going to jump systems (change brands) in the near future. But I suggest you stick with what you have and learn its pros and cons a little longer. That will give you the best advise on what to upgrade too in the future. Because it's based on your opinions and knowldge gained. Not buy us, who most likely have different shooting styles, likes, and dislikes. And even physical attributes.

Thanks,

I’m afraid that it’s a little too late to don’t get caught up in equipment races / specification chases. The xpro2 was just horrible for me, the xt2 is kinda okay but my pinky is a bit cramped. Which beginner camera I meant a camera usually adviced for beginners to learn without spending to much.

My goal is to choose a system to stick with and enjoy for the next 5-10 years before the end of December, as kind of a New Years resolution. I went to the store and tried a Canon 80d, Canon 7d Mark I, a Nikon D7200, a Nikon d7500 and a Nikon D500 and all of the above seemed to fit my hands a lot better. Maybe a battery grip for the xt2 would also fix this problem?

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks,

I’m afraid that it’s a little too late to don’t get caught up in equipment races / specification chases. The xpro2 was just horrible for me, the xt2 is kinda okay but my pinky is a bit cramped. Which beginner camera I meant a camera usually adviced for beginners to learn without spending to much.

My goal is to choose a system to stick with and enjoy for the next 5-10 years before the end of December, as kind of a New Years resolution. I went to the store and tried a Canon 80d, Canon 7d Mark I, a Nikon D7200, a Nikon d7500 and a Nikon D500 and all of the above seemed to fit my hands a lot better. Maybe a battery grip for the xt2 would also fix this problem?

A grip may help, and will help with battery too I believe. If your going to walk about for a year. You may not want a big camera to carry around / taking up valuable space!

You have a top-tier camera that was built for travelling lads like yourself, and you're fortunate to have such a kit. I agree with Ben...take that money can buy some great glass to go with your XT2.

You talk like my rational thoughts, the only thing I can say to this is I know. But something feels wrong.

You talk like my rational thoughts, the only thing I can say to this is I know. But something feels wrong.
Well I am older and wiser (than myself from years ago). And I did the equipment chasing when I was around your age. I moved though the film bodies at the time. Stepping up each model. But when in fact several of the steps was just money out the window. If I had kept to a single body or at least reduced my upgrading by half. I would have had more and better lenses back then.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks,

Maybe you should test the GRIP or Grip/battery for the XT2. Gives your pinky a little more room.

The Battery/Grip looks like this on the X-T2 photo courtesy of B&H
fujifilm_16519247_kit_x_t2_mirrorless_digital_camera_1483990659000_1308957.jpg

The basic Grip looks like this (no camera)
1476466297000_IMG_697155.jpg

Well I am older and wiser (than myself from years ago). And I did the equipment chasing when I was around your age. I moved though the film bodies at the time. Stepping up each model. But when in fact several of the steps was just money out the window. If I had kept to a single body or at least reduced my upgrading by half. I would have had more and better lenses back then.

Well it would be a lot easier for me if changing systems would cost me money, because then I wouldn’t. But changing systems now wouldn’t cost me anything, because I got my xt2 real cheap from a family member.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks,

Maybe you should test the GRIP or Grip/battery for the XT2. Gives your pinky a little more room.

The Battery/Grip looks like this on the X-T2 photo courtesy of B&H
fujifilm_16519247_kit_x_t2_mirrorless_digital_camera_1483990659000_1308957.jpg

The basic Grip looks like this (no camera)
1476466297000_IMG_697155.jpg
That would be an option but then you are leaving the small form factor, that’s also the problem with adding larger zooms like the 2.8. It isn’t small anymore

I would keep the set-up you have and add two prime lenses, a zoom, the hand grip and a flash. I backpacked many times carrying two film cameras during high school and college vacations along with a set of the smaller, slower lenses.

I think that at 17, the best option is to maximize what people have given you and build on that. I would like to recommend the D500, that is the camera I would buy tomorrow if I needed to replace a body. However, with either system you will probably find that in fives years you will want a different body and all different lenses so in the end it does not matter what system you buy into today.

I would buy a used Nikon D800. Prices here are $795 to $995 US dollars for them.

I would buy a used Nikon D800. Prices here are $795 to $995 US dollars for them.
Thanks Darrel,

Any particular reason why? I started looking at canikon too, because of the amazing market of used glass. Here in the Netherlands but probably also in a lot of other countries it isn’t easy to find used fujifilm glass at all, not in stores and not from other people. “Cheap, good, used glass is one major benefit of canikon. I will probably get myself a nice, large backpack for my camera gear so size isn’t really an issue.

I would keep the set-up you have and add two prime lenses, a zoom, the hand grip and a flash. I backpacked many times carrying two film cameras during high school and college vacations along with a set of the smaller, slower lenses.

I think that at 17, the best option is to maximize what people have given you and build on that. I would like to recommend the D500, that is the camera I would buy tomorrow if I needed to replace a body. However, with either system you will probably find that in fives years you will want a different body and all different lenses so in the end it does not matter what system you buy into today.

Thanks for your reply,

I looked at Nikon d750 and D500 too, both also amazing cameras. The D500 is really sport/wildlife oriented and also very good in other things, but I don’t know if I will need the sport capability. Although saying that the xt2 really isn’t a slow camera either :).

Thanks Darrel,

Any particular reason why? I started looking at canikon too, because of the amazing market of used glass. Here in the Netherlands but probably also in a lot of other countries it isn’t easy to find used fujifilm glass at all, not in stores and not from other people. “Cheap, good, used glass is one major benefit of canikon. I will probably get myself a nice, large backpack for my camera gear so size isn’t really an issue.

Reasons? Nikon has a HUGE system of manual focus lenses, AF lenses, AF-D lenses, and AF-S lenses. New and used lenses, millions of them. Nikon has superior sensors and file exposure recovery. The D800 is a good camera for night photos...better than any Canon, due to the sensor's capabilities. IMHO, full-frame is better than APS-C in an all-around camera for travel, people,and night photos...the High-ISO capability of the D750 or D600 or D610 or D800 is VERY good. You wanted a camera for a five year time frame, and have a $3,000 total system budget...Nikon has tens of millions (literally) MORE lens choices than Canon on the used market, since there are literally decades' worth of _affordable_Ai and Ai-S and AF and AF-D lenses that WORK on the D800 (not so Canon, which changed lens mounts and left users high and dry in the 1980's). Nikon is a system you could grow with.

Most reactions

Back