Wide angle Canon Lens Advice

bstarphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i need some advice on which lens to purchase in the near future. to start i currently own a 35-8- f4-5.6 (stock on my eos rebel xs 35mm) and will soon be receiving a 50mm f1.8

the lenses in question are

Canon Super Wide Angle EF 20mm f/2.8
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12082-USA/Canon_2509A003_Super_Wide_Angle_EF.html

or

Canon 24mm f2.8
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12091-GREY/Canon_2506A002_Wide_Angle_EF_24mm.html

or

Sigma 28mm f1.8
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/217758-USA/Sigma_440101_W_A_28mm_f_1_8_EX.html

from what ive read the sigma has a very slow autofocus (i dont us autofocus much) but the 20mm vignettes a bit at any fstop below 4. (from what ive read)

anyways anyone have advice? thanks

Last edited:
Are you using it for wide angle/distorted shots? or Landscapes?

If landscapes,i would probably go for the 24mm canon.

On an APS-C sensor, none of those will be very wide.
I agree.

These cameras usually come with an 18-55mm lens, and that's considered the 'normal' range. 18mm is wide, but not that really wide angle view that often see in landscapes etc.

To get really wide with your camera, you need to look at something like the Canon 10-22mm.

Ah, good catch.

In that case, ignore my advice about the 18-55mm & 10-22mm. Those lenses won't work on a 35mm film camera.

The Canon 20mm would be fairly wide, but I have never heard anything good about that lens...it was never very popular. The same could be said of the 24mm. They might be decent lenses, but I wouldn't pay too much for either one.

Ideally, I'd suggest the 17-40mm F4 L. It's a very popular wide angle lens and would probably give you much better quality than any of the lenses mentioned. It's not cheap, but is actually considered to be a great bargain for such a high quality lens.

If you want something cheaper, there should be some 'kit' zoom lenses that start at 24mm or 28mm. That would give you more of a wide angle than your 35-80mm lens.

Agree with the 17-40mm lens. 17mm should be pretty wide for the 35mm camera.

For lower cost lens, you can try to see if you can locate the 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 lens. I believe you can find it with brands like Tamron, Tokina, Phoenix, Vivitar, Promaster and Cosina (I think Cosina is the company who make this lens).... (Used cost around $80)

User reviews
FM Reviews - AF 19-35MM F/3.5-4.5

And this is the flickr group
Flickr: 19-35mm

Agree with the 17-40mm lens. 17mm should be pretty wide for the 35mm camera.

For lower cost lens, you can try to see if you can locate the 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 lens. I believe you can find it with brands like Tamron, Tokina, Phoenix, Vivitar, Promaster and Cosina (I think Cosina is the company who make this lens).... (Used cost around $80)

User reviews
FM Reviews - AF 19-35MM F/3.5-4.5

And this is the flickr group
Flickr: 19-35mm

a 19-35 looks pretty solid, but i have only been able to find the fd munt for one. thanks for the advice all.

Most reactions

Back