Sigma vs. Sigma help

Discussion in 'Canon Lenses' started by sports hunter, Mar 13, 2019.

1. sports hunter

sports hunter TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey there, I'm a sports photographer with a Canon 7D Mark II, and a 70-200mm, so far so good, I love this tele. But when it comes to wide angle I currently use a poor kit lens, it really is bad.
    Because in my free-time I also do some portraits I wonder which of Sigmas primes would be the best.
    I´m between the Sigma 20mm 1.4 Art, Sigma 24mm 1.4 Art, and the Sigma 28mm 1.4 Art.
    Even though the 20mm might give me with a crop factor of 1,6 the most wide angle, I wonder, if it would look kinda "weird". On my camera that would be 32mm, sounds good, but somehow still 20mm... (like angle of view...(you know what I mean)).
    Of course the lens should be really sharp, to my believe all of them are (or not?). Autofocus should definitely fast, yeah not as fast as a sport lens, but fast enough.

(Yes I know there are also lenses from Sigma for APS-C, but sooner or later I will switch to full frame, therefore it would make not much sense, to buy a prime that awesome just for APS-C)

So if you guys have any suggestions, experiences, or thoughts about my "problem", I would love to hear from you. If you have any further questions about my use cases and so on, feel free to ask.

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I am not sure you are on the right track with your lens acquisition plan... choosing between a 20mm,a 24mm,or a 28mm (even with all being f/1.4 primes) lens because you occasionally "do some portraits" makes little sense to me, even with a 1.6x FOV factor applied to 20,24,and 28mm lenses. ON APS-C these will all still be semi-wide to pseudo-normal lenses...and what.exactly, do you mean when you write:" Even though the 20mm might give me with a crop factor of 1,6 the most wide angle, I wonder, if it would look kinda "weird""? Corner distortion of real-world scenes? Or foreground/background apparent perspective distortion?

I would NOT buy any of these f/1.4 ART series primes for portrait or sports assignments until you are able to KNOW,from experience, what these focal lengths represent...

MAYBE use the 18-135 or 18-55 lens more? Perhaps none of this is what you wanted to be told. Sorry if that is the case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. sports hunter

sports hunter TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the answer, maybe I misstated it a little bit, in the end something between 35-50mm is fine for me. Because right now, my 70mm with crop is 112mm. (Shooting with a tele and nothing else for a year now makes kinda depressive)
    In sports I just need a wider angle then 112mm, und for my free time I'm just experimenting with street and people (not that important). And because I believe the Sigma Art (20,24,28) are the best in this segment (value, quality..) I asked if there are any arguments to help me decide.
    You also stated "apparent perspective distortion", I have to say I'm not that into it, but probably yes, I know that 20mm cropped to 32mm and 32mm inherently are not the same. So my question was just if the difference is noticeable at the end.

4. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Of suggest just but a 50mm f1.8 stm and a tokina 11-16f2.8. The 50 is a nice portait lens on 7d and cheap, the tokina is a nice wide-angle that can be got cheap hand and can be sold at minimal loss if you go ff

• Like Like x 1
  5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    30-50mm versus 20,24,or 28mm. A big difference in focal length AND angle of view and in background rendering. Have you considered switching to FF earlier, rather than later?

6. sports hunter

sports hunter TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah I know that there is a big difference, is just want to start somewhere, sooner or later, maybe with FF I will have a 35mm and a 50mm (and to have then a 20, or 24,28 at 1.4 is not bad at all), for now it just should be something NOT tele. Therefore I thought about the 1.4 series, I love the bokeh at for example 150mm and 2.8, and I don't want to miss it with wider lenses. I know bokeh at 1.4 and 24mm is something different, but yeah bokeh love...
    So for like photos of the rostrum, and group pictures, a wider angle + a bokeh that blurs out other people would be awesome. And I could start experimenting with it in portraits.

7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Background defocus (background blur) with a 20,24mm,or 28mm f/1.4 lens,on APS-C, is not as significant as it is on FF...

OR with a longer lens with a physically-wider aperture.

There is a subtle difference between bokeh, depth of field,and background blur. Longer focal lengths give greater background blur.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    To go from 70mm on the short end of your 70-200, down to 20 is one heck of a leap.

What kit zoom do you have?
    Use that lens to determine what prime focal length (FL) you want. Just tape the zoom ring at the FL and shoot it for a day or two. Then repeat for the other two FL. That should give you an idea if that FL is right for you.

There is also the 24-70/2.8 as a shorter companion zoom to your 70-200.

9. sports hunter

sports hunter TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ok yeah maybe I should try to figure out which focal length would be best. I just thought between 20 and 24 and 24 and 28 is not that much of a difference, so that I ask here if anybody has experiences with one of those on APS-S.
    Yeah the most logic thing would be to buy a zoom lens, 2.8 is good, but its not rare that I work under awful light conditions, so a prime with 1.4 is just looking at me. Of course a prime is less flexible but that's okay for me, I can buy a 24-70 for FF later.

10. sports hunter

sports hunter TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I know it is a big leap, but I still would have the kit lens (18-135). I just wanted to start somewhere. I hate it to have absolutely no bokeh with this kit lens, and because of this frustration a looked into the 1.4 scene. At first I thought the 24mm will do it, done. but then I realised there are 2 others, and crop factor...

11. sports hunter

sports hunter TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yeah that's clear, I believe every of this 3 lenses would give me enough background blur, and later on attached on a FF even better, for now just which of them

12. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

Bokeh or not, I personally do not like the look with a wide angle lens on most of the Portraits. On my cropped sensor camera, 50mm to 85mm range is my prefer range. Longer if it is outdoor. For outdoor portraits, I like 200mm at f/5.6 than 50mm at f/1.8 for a similar frame.