Wide Angle for 4x5 wanted

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK, so I bought this Wide Angle Wollensak lens a few months ago in an Antique store for next to nothing. I made a lensboard for it to be able to put it on my 4x5 Toyo. Turns out the WA lens was for the 8x10 format! It even says so on it!! Gosh, I'm going blind...

Anyway, so I am now in the hunt for a WA lens for my 4x5. Anything between 65mm and 90mm. Anyone has one they don't need? Oh, it must have a shutter, BTW.

Thanks

Oh, it must have a shutter, BTW

Picky picky picky

Just as a note most of that old glass was about the same threads. I switch out glass and shutters all the time. Not sure if a barrel would have the same thread or any though. Was thinking you could use your shutter from the 8x10 and switch the glass. Funny but if you use just one of the elements (front to protect the shutter) you sometimes get a different effect with almost no loss of quality. Why not remove the back element from your 8x10 lens and see what happens.

Oh yeah sometimes you dont get anything.

Oh, it must have a shutter, BTW

Picky picky picky

Just as a note most of that old glass was about the same threads. I switch out glass and shutters all the time. Not sure if a barrel would have the same thread or any though. Was thinking you could use your shutter from the 8x10 and switch the glass. Funny but if you use just one of the elements (front to protect the shutter) you sometimes get a different effect with almost no loss of quality. Why not remove the back element from your 8x10 lens and see what happens.

Oh yeah sometimes you dont get anything.

Oh, I did that already. :D The results were ok but the lens was pretty much a tele with the front removed. I have plenty of tele and regular (360mm Apo Nikkor for tele, 203mm Kodak and 150 Schneider for normal) so I need a WA. I have other shutters willing to take some glass and the Wollensak has a Bettax shutter, which is nice and self-cocking. I definitely can find some cells to fit in there but I want to find first a 90mm or wider lens for the 4x5.

I have a wally 127 with a shutter that the flash contacts are unreliable and an optar with eat up glass also 127 I think I'm going to make one super lens if the optar will take the glass. anyway I have way too many cameras laying about. I went on a camera building binge last couple of years.

I find that I like cut film better than 120 these days I have no idea why.

I have a wally 127 with a shutter that the flash contacts are unreliable and an optar with eat up glass also 127 I think I'm going to make one super lens if the optar will take the glass. anyway I have way too many cameras laying about. I went on a camera building binge last couple of years.

I find that I like cut film better than 120 these days I have no idea why.

OK, update: I found a mint 100mm WF (Wide Field) Ektar, I am all set. :)

Good for you did you have to second mortgage your house

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, no kidding...

I was going back and forthy between this one and a 90mm Angulon (not the Super, too expensive for me) and I read a few reviews. The Ektar beats it hands down. It's about the same as a 90mm Angulon price wise.

Update... :grumpy: :grumpy:

The lens I bought was claimed to be in mint condition, yet upon arrival I discovered it had plenty of fungus and haze. The haze part I can live with but the fungus... I had to return it, no problem there.

Now I'm looking again, maybe a Fujinon or a Nikkor.

i have an old 127mm ektar . . . not in great shape, i've only used it on a wood box camera i built . . . it has itty bitty scratches, i mean like uber small, but lots of them. so if your looking for a soft focus lens you'd be willing to sell back to me after a while then you might could have it for $60

Thanks newrmdmike, I appreciate the offer. What I am really looking for is something around 75-100mm, with 100mm being max. I have other lenses, a 150mm/4.5 Xenar, a 203mm/7.7 Ektar, a 360mm APO Nikkor. So what I need is a true WA lens. Thanks again though.

to bad they didnt make a folder with a short lens that would cover 4x5. I got my 170mm 4x5 from a really perfect 3a. Somebody obviously broke the strut on the first use and kept the camera without repair. I bought it for next to nothing and got a lens that is as tight as a... a.... a.... hat band. Im gonna have to break down and buy a real graflex lens board for it one day.

The field of view is hard to get in a 70 to 100 mm lens. I would like to have one but I refuse to pay the price just to have it sit in the box.

Experimenting with a 135mm/4.5 Triotar (Zeiss) now, from a KW Etui which shoots 90/120mm. Nice coverage on the 4x5, not much (if any) light fall-off at the corners and very sharp throughout. That's not much of a change from the 150mm Xenar but jst experimenting for now.

If I go back to wedding shoots I promised to shoot a couple of retro shots while there.... I might take the 4x5 graflex along for the hell of it. Can you imagine the look on the brides face when the old gray haired man pulls out that monster.

She will think shes in the twilight zone.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back