Wide angle lens for Hasselblad 500C/M

Richard Austin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
I'm using a Hasselblad 500C/M with the standard 80mm T* lens. I'm shooting black+white, mostly landscapes and objects. I love this camera.
I'd like to get a wide-angle lens and was wondering if anyone can offer me some comments regarding the type of lens and model?
I think a 30mm lens would be too wide, the images perhaps too distorted for my purposes.
I've looked on KEH to see what's available used and I see there are also 40mm and 50mm lens, however they range widely in price according to condition.
Is anyone familiar with these focal length lens and can make some recommendations?
Thanks!

A 40mm (68 degrees)is a lot wider than a 50mm (57 degrees) and will have WA distortion more readily than the 50mm. You can go the the Zeiss website and get the particulars on the Angle of View on each and transpose to a 35mm to get the feel of each.

As to the quality, I've heard that the newer 40mm is the one to get (isn't that always the case ;)).

See here.. Welcome to Carl Zeiss Camera Lenses

I have the 40, the 50, and I used to have the 65. As an all around wide-angle the 50 is by far my favorite. The 40 is huge and heavy and has a pronounced "Wide Angle" look (like a 21mm on 35mm) which I love, but not for everyday shooting. The 50, especially the older chrome model, is a very affordable lens with almost no distortion. It's great for handheld and street work as well as architectural/industrial and even fashion. If you only have the 80 I'd recommend the 50 hands down -- and after that the 140 :)

I have the 40, the 50, and I used to have the 65. As an all around wide-angle the 50 is by far my favorite. The 40 is huge and heavy and has a pronounced "Wide Angle" look (like a 21mm on 35mm) which I love, but not for everyday shooting. The 50, especially the older chrome model, is a very affordable lens with almost no distortion. It's great for handheld and street work as well as architectural/industrial and even fashion. If you only have the 80 I'd recommend the 50 hands down -- and after that the 140 :)

The 50 is my favorite of my lens set as well.

Will do! I'm set to develop some HP5 tonight, so I'll scan and post some in the next few days. Just learning my way around this board.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back