Wide angle lens suggestions please

HalAdams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good morning!
I am returning to photography (last touched an SLR some 30 years ago!) and will be looking for a lot of help I think! I hope I have chosen the best forum..

To get me going, I bought a used Canon 550D with the Canon 18-55 and a Sigma 55-200. These lens may well have to be changed for better ones once I have read everyone's opinions. I am willing to hear what anyone thinks I should be aiming for (as I am a starter though, I will be keeping to the mid price range...)

My initial problem is a suitable wide lens for photographing indoors. My Canon lens on 18 does a reasonable job, but I would like to take in more of a room without getting into the deformations of 'fish-eye' lens. What is the widest one can go before this happens. Does anyone make an adjustable lens that takes in fish-eye and wide?

I'd welcome any suggestions on the way forward.

Thanks!

I'm not sure any lenses are both fish eye and wide angle. As for wide angle lenses on DX sensors, I used the Tokina 11-16 2.8, and absolutely loved it. Wonderfully sharp lens, good build, and handled flaring pretty well. Worth looking into, if you ask me. And 11mm is pretty darn wide on a DX sensor.

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 550D. Mostly I use a Sigma 18-250 mm DC IS lens. When I need a wider view I use a Sigma 10-20 mm DC lens. Canon makes a 10-22 mm that is similar. Sigma offers two versions, one with varying max aperture and one with fixed max aperture. I have the 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC (HSM). Specs are here: http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/10-20mm-f4-56-ex-dc-hsm?link=aug-m-10-20mm

I have the Canon 10-22, although it was acquired late in my GAS struggle, meaning I haven't used it a lot. It can give you some crazy-cool distortion shots down at 10mm, and you can really take in a LOT of scenery from 12-18mm. I like how I can do really close-ups of trees and buildings. I haven't used it indoors, though. Here's a link to it on Amazon......... look it over and read the reviews. It has a $50 rebate now, getting it for under $600.

< Amazon.com : Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM SLR Lens for EOS Digital SLRs : Camera Lenses : Electronics >

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The canon 10-22 should handle flare better than the tokina 11-16. But the tokina has a constant 2.8 aperture. I do landscapes and / or long exposures, so I bought the canon and usually have it at f7+ to get everything in focus.

BUT canon did just come out with the super cheap 10-18 UWA, which should go nicely with the lenses you already have. It's supposed to be of similar IQ to the canon 10-22, but with a kit lens feel. The 10-22 is built like a tank, but if you every upgrade to full frame, it'll be useless unless you have a crop sensor backup camera. Same goes for the 10-18.

Thanks for all the replies - I fear that I was too hasty as I see afterwards that this subject has been covered in previous threads!
Armed with the recommendations, I shall trawl the 'pre-owned' shelves and see what is available.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back