Wide angle lenses

zepa_pt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to to buy a wide angle lenses for my EOS, but it's a film camera: an EOS 500 (europe)... I guess it's almost the same as an EOS Rebel.

Anyway, I'm interested in a 18-35 or something like that. I use to search ebay for this porpose, and I found several 18-35 from Sigma, but when I read the description, it says its compatible with the digital EOS line.

My question is if this lenses can also be used with my film EOS, without distortion (that magnifying mambo jambo...).

If not, what should I look for? How can I be sure if it is a proper lenses?

Thanks,
JPF

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, those lenses will work with any Canon EOS camera....film or digital.

They only say "compatible with digital EOS" because there are so many people buying digital cameras these days and they want those people to find their product when they search.

I thought that would be the case, but there are lenses that have a special ratio to work better with the smaller sized CDDs. Because the CCD's area is smaller that the film one.

And I don't want my pictures to suffer from vigneting.

Am I right?

That might be true...I was thinking of Canon made lenses.

Your best bet is to check the Sigma web site and find out if that lens is full frame or not.

You would suffer vignetting if you used a lens designed for the size of an APS sensor on a 35mm camera or a full frame sensor. The advantage of the lenses designed for digital slr's are they are smaller and lighter. Only Olympus actually designed their lenses completely around the digital sensor and have the best edge to edge sharpness of any DSLR system.

voodoocat said:
You would suffer vignetting if you used a lens designed for the size of an APS sensor on a 35mm camera or a full frame sensor. The advantage of the lenses designed for digital slr's are they are smaller and lighter. Only Olympus actually designed their lenses completely around the digital sensor and have the best edge to edge sharpness of any DSLR system.

I had read that Olympus designed their lenses with the smaller sensors in mind

...but wouldn't the other DSLRs like the 10D, 20D, 300D, D70...also be sharp edge to edge as well?

The reason being that Canon & Nikon lenses are designed for 35mm and whatever quality loss they have in the corners is cropped in the camera because the sensor is smaller than the 35mm neg.

Well lenses designed for film cameras spread the light to the corners which causes cornershading. The lenses designed for the 4/3rds system hit the sensor at a right angle which ensures edge to edge clarity, color and brightness.
The lenses designed for DSLR's use the same lens technology as the film counterparts but have a smaller image circle. So all it really does is decrease the weight and size of the lenses.

voodoocat said:
Well lenses designed for film cameras spread the light to the corners which causes cornershading. The lenses designed for the 4/3rds system hit the sensor at a right angle which ensures edge to edge clarity, color and brightness.
The lenses designed for DSLR's use the same lens technology as the film counterparts but have a smaller image circle. So all it really does is decrease the weight and size of the lenses.

OK, but since "most" lenses that are used on a 10D etc, have an image circle designed for 35mm film...would that give them edge to edge sharpness on a sensor that is well within that circle?

I guess if we are talking about "digital" specific lenses then my argument does not apply :oops:

It's still not hitting the sensor at a right angle like the Olympus system. I would check out some images shot with the E-1 to see for yourself.

In conclusion...

How should I buy my lenses??
How can I be sure if a lenses are for 35mm or for Digital? Apart from those that says it explicitly, of course, like the Sigma 18-50 DC, f. eg.

Thanks,

zepa_pt said:
In conclusion...

How should I buy my lenses??
How can I be sure if a lenses are for 35mm or for Digital? Apart from those that says it explicitly, of course, like the Sigma 18-50 DC, f. eg.

Thanks,

You could check if there is a list of compatible cameras for the lens, then check to see if they list both film & digital cameras. Or check the manufactures web site.

Sorry to keep hi-jacking this thread...

I think I read somewhere that the Canon sensors (10D, 300D etc.) had a lens or set of small lenses built right onto the surface of the sensor. The purpose what to align the light rays perpendicular to the sensor. There might still be quality loss in the corners though.

I don't think so. There is a low pass filter and other filters... They don't refract the light in any way.

i use sigma 15-30 mm wide angle zoom. it suffers from vignetting at 15mm with the lens hood on, but i live by this lens :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back