Wide Angle/Panorama Lens Recommendation

Nrgy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been getting into spherical panoramas for the last couple of months. I'm finally getting a workflow down that I'm comfortable with and getting the results I want. However, now I'm trying to really dial in the quality of the images, getting the best detail/sharpness I can. I am currently using a Canon 7D & Samyang 8mm lens. I'm getting some nice results with the combo, but not quite the sharpness I am after.

I've seen panoramas taken with the Nikon D3s & 14-24mm lens, and that's what I want! I've considered just getting a FX Nikon body and the 14-24mm lens, however from what I've read it is a heavy cumbersome lens, and not the easiest to setup for panos and of course requires more shots. Knowing me, I probably wouldn't have patience for this.

So, I'm wondering if there is another setup someone could recommend that would produce results "close" to the D3s/14-24mm, but at the bare minimum at least be noticeably better than my current 7D/Samyang 8mm?

Here are a few combos I've been researching, along with possible drawbacks I've discovered through my research:

- D600 & Nikkor 16mm fisheye (cons: looks a little softer than the 10.5mm DX fisheye, which is softer yet to the 14-24mm)

- D600 & Nikkor 10.5mm fisheye (cons: need to shave hood, lower resolution)

- 7D & Canon 8-16mm fisheye (cons: don't know what kind of images this combo produces?)

I think I would be happy with the 10.5mm lens from samples I've seen, unfortunately it is not really designed for a FX cameras, and if I were going to switch to Nikon, I would want take the opportunity to go full frame. So finding that perfect combo is proving to be difficult. I appreciate any insight one could offer. Thanks!

Why not a crop sensor DX body and the 10-24?

Using the 10.5 fisheye on the D600 will require shooting in DX mode anyway

I have the 14-24 and I would in no way call it cumbersome. Was that review from a canon user who converted it?

The only dislike I have about that lens is Im a bit paranoid of the exposed front element.

I guess I'm just figuring if I'm going to switch camera bodies to be able to use the Nikon lenses, then to make the switch even more worthwhile I would upgrade to an FX body.

Also, I'm still trying to understand the FX/DX mode, but if I understand correctly, putting a DX lens on a FX body would put the D600 in DX mode, basically making it act as a crop sensor body? So the images coming out of, for example a D700/10.5mm would look the same (ie. resolution, crop, etc) as they would on a D300/10.5mm?

I think I was reading you could force the camera into FX mode, taking full advantage of the full frame sensor, but then the lens hood would be in the frame, thus the need to shave it.

I have the 14-24 and I would in no way call it cumbersome. Was that review from a canon user who converted it?

The only dislike I have about that lens is Im a bit paranoid of the exposed front element.

I just remember reading a few posts from users that the 14-24 is not the easiest to use for 360 panoramas. They said the lens was heavy and somewhat long, so I'm not sure if my panohead/tripod could support this combo. And also, it took something like 2 rows of 6, + the up and down shots to get a spherical pano. I'm afraid I'd get frustrated trying to stitch that together if the conditions weren't perfect at the time the images were taken. I'm trying to convince myself otherwise though!

I guess I'm just figuring if I'm going to switch camera bodies to be able to use the Nikon lenses, then to make the switch even more worthwhile I would upgrade to an FX body.

Also, I'm still trying to understand the FX/DX mode, but if I understand correctly, putting a DX lens on a FX body would put the D600 in DX mode, basically making it act as a crop sensor body? So the images coming out of, for example a D700/10.5mm would look the same (ie. resolution, crop, etc) as they would on a D300/10.5mm?

I think I was reading you could force the camera into FX mode, taking full advantage of the full frame sensor, but then the lens hood would be in the frame, thus the need to shave it.

The D600 default setting is to detect DX-format lenses and shoot in DX mode. You can override that if you want to, however, and shoot in FX mode with any lens.... DX or FX.
You may also want to look into using a Sunex lens.

The D600 default setting is to detect DX-format lenses and shoot in DX mode. You can override that if you want to, however, and shoot in FX mode with any lens.... DX or FX.

So if I'm understanding correctly, in DX mode the D600 would use the same 1.5x crop factor, and turn the 10.5mm lens into a 16mm focal length, just like on a DX body? If that's the case, then that would definitely be an option for me to consider.

So if I'm understanding correctly, in DX mode the D600 would use the same 1.5x crop factor, and turn the 10.5mm lens into a 16mm focal length, just like on a DX body? If that's the case, then that would definitely be an option for me to consider.

AFAIK, all FX bodies have the ability to shoot in DX mode. It's just a matter of whether you want the camera to sense a DX lens and shoot in DX mode automatically, or you want to choose DX- or FX-mode yourself.

It won't turn the 10.5 into a 16mm.... it will still be a 10.5mm whether you shoot in DX or FX mode. But you can remove the built-in hood on the 10.5 and turn it into a nearly-circular fisheye.

Thanks 480sparky for walking me through this. Just for final clarification, as I seem to be having a tough time wrapping my head around this, the following link shows some lens/camera comparisons for 360. 360Precision - Panoramic tripod head for virtual tours, real estate tours, HDRi, high dynamic range images, CGI and 3D

It shows the 10.5mm on a D300 takes 6+1+1 shots for full spherical pano, and outputs a max resolution of 11748 x 5874.

It also shows the shaved 10.5mm on a D3 in FX takes 3+0+0 shots for full spherical pano and max resolution of 7512 x 3756.

So I would assume a 10.5mm on a D3/D600 in DX mode would require 6+1+1 shots and output a higher resolution as well, ie. around 11748 x 5874?

Btw, love your site! I'm originally from the Cedar Falls/Waterloo area, so your pictures bring back memories.

Thanks 480sparky for walking me through this. Just for final clarification, as I seem to be having a tough time wrapping my head around this, the following link shows some lens/camera comparisons for 360. 360Precision - Panoramic tripod head for virtual tours, real estate tours, HDRi, high dynamic range images, CGI and 3D

It shows the 10.5mm on a D300 takes 6+1+1 shots for full spherical pano, and outputs a max resolution of 11748 x 5874.

It also shows the shaved 10.5mm on a D3 in FX takes 3+0+0 shots for full spherical pano and max resolution of 7512 x 3756.

So I would assume a 10.5mm on a D3/D600 in DX mode would require 6+1+1 shots and output a higher resolution as well, ie. around 11748 x 5874?

Btw, love your site! I'm originally from the Cedar Falls/Waterloo area, so your pictures bring back memories.

I can't speak for gear I don't own, so I can't address the resolution question.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back