Wide open aperture outdoors using sb-600?????

Reyna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, when I shoot wide open f/1.4 on my 50mm so I can get a narrow DOF, but also add a little fill flash, using the flash locks my shutter at 1/200. I even have my iso down to 100 and the pictures come out WAY overexposed.

I know my camera has a max shutter speed of 1/200 when using my flash, but is there any way I can get a faster shutter speed using my flash?

Have you considered a bounce card instead of a flash for outdoor shots like this? The 1/200 restriction is because your flash can't physically fire any faster than that - if you were to somehow crank up the shutter speed, you'd wind up having the shutter open and close before the flash fires.

Will you tell me a little bit about a bounce card??

I would love to not have to buy anything, but it looks like a bounce card isn't too expensive at all.

He means a reflector a bounce card comes out at the top of your flash, when you bounce flash off the ceiling it will bounce a small amout of flash forward
Do-It-Yourself Flash Bounce Card
Haha actually no he doesn't. A bounce card for outdoor photos is really the way to to fill in the lower shadows. I believe I spend a total of $3 at wal-mart for the one I use all it is, is a foam board used for maybe science fair projects. I just lean it against my tripod leaning upwards toward my subject, and it fills right in.

The 1/200 restriction is because your flash can't physically fire any faster than that - .
That is incorrect. The SB-600 can indeed fire faster than that. It's called Auto FP-Sync. See page 48 of the SB-600 users manual.

However, you would discover in the D60 users manual that FP-Sync flash is not a function it has. IIRC you would need at least a D80 to have an Auto FP-Sync capable camera.

However, I'm pretty sure the D40, D40x, D70 and D70x have electronic shutters and can sync with flash at up to 1/4000.

At any rate using f/1.4 with strobed light is not a good idea. The 50 mm f/1.4 delivers the sharpest focus when stopped down a couple of stops (f/2.8).

Last edited:
He means a reflector a bounce card comes out at the top of your flash, when you bounce flash off the ceiling it will bounce a small amout of flash forward
Do-It-Yourself Flash Bounce Card
Haha actually no he doesn't. A bounce card for outdoor photos is really the way to to fill in the lower shadows. I believe I spend a total of $3 at wal-mart for the one I use all it is, is a foam board used for maybe science fair projects. I just lean it against my tripod leaning upwards toward my subject, and it fills right in.

That is classed as a reflector Ultimate Bounce Card

There are a few options available to you......

1) Shoot at a different time of day when the ambient light is not so inhibitive.
2) Add a ND (Neutral Density) filter
3) Shoot at a different time of day when the ambient light is not so inhibitive.
4) Add a CPL (Circular Polarising) filter
5) Shoot at a different time of day when the ambient light is not so inhibitive.
6) Add an ND and a CPL filter
7) Shoot at a different time of day when the ambient light is not so inhibitive.
8) Find open shade for your subjects
9) Shoot at a different time of day when the ambient light is not so inhibitive.
10) Diffuse the light hitting your subject, possibly ignoring the overexposed background
11) Stop down you lens.
12) Shoot at a different time of day when the ambient light is not so inhibitive.

I'm a wee bit at this as I just got my flash over the weekend and haven't had enough time to fully play with it, but cant it be shot at less power like 2/3 or 1/3 of its power?
Also it sounds like you already have too much light going, so why fire a flash also? I'm hoping you're not shooting in Auto mode.

I'm a wee bit at this as I just got my flash over the weekend and haven't had enough time to fully play with it, but cant it be shot at less power like 2/3 or 1/3 of its power?
Also it sounds like you already have too much light going, so why fire a flash also? I'm hoping you're not shooting in Auto mode.

I shot this one of the wife on a bright day with flash
946710333_teUVT-L.jpg

946710333_teUVT-L.jpg

Um dood, no offense, but your wife is a cow. :lol: :lmao: :biglaugh:

.... possibly a Heifer

Oh wait, gsgary is an old sod.....

946710333_teUVT-L.jpg

No offence but your wife is a cow hehe... let me repost the OP's question...
So, when I shoot wide open f/1.4 on my 50mm so I can get a narrow DOF, but also add a little fill flash, using the flash locks my shutter at 1/200. I even have my iso down to 100 and the pictures come out WAY overexposed.

I know my camera has a max shutter speed of 1/200 when using my flash, but is there any way I can get a faster shutter speed using my flash?

I noticed you shot the wife at f16 meanwhile the OP wants to shoot outside at f1.4 with a flash...

The 1/200 restriction is because your flash can't physically fire any faster than that - .

At any rate using f/1.4 with strobed light is not a good idea. The 50 mm f/1.4 delivers the sharpest focus when stopped down a couple of stops (f/2.8).

Good to know! Thanks for that! Do you know the sharpest focus for indoors?

Most reactions

Back