Wide zoom for weddings, some landscape

Discussion in 'Nikon Lenses' started by arond24, Jan 25, 2018.

1. arond24

arond24 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Yes sorry, I don't think the gap is acceptable...I am leaning towards the 24-70 like u mentioned. Thoughts in that tamron? That is actually the 70-200 I have and I love it

2. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    if you can swing it, look at the G2 version of it. I have the linked Tamron.

3. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You are thinking "crop camera" again.
    16-35, 17-35 or 18-35 would probably be sufficient.

4. arond24

arond24 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Main difference in g2??

5. DGMPhotography

DGMPhotography Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, I researched for awhile and was able to test and compare a couple of lenses. I ended up choosing the Tamron G2. It’s a great lens and you can only tell that the Nikon has higher resolution when you crop 100%, but seeing as that’s almost never done, it wasn’t an issue for me. Most of my recent work at www.daryllmorgan.com was shot with the 24-72 G2 and the 70-200 G2.

G2 series is way better than the original Tamrons and comparable to the Nikon/Canon name brand.

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    24-85mm f/3.5~4.5, the NEW, VR-equipped model (Nikon has made several different versions of a 24-85 over the past four decades) that was DESIGNED specifically for 24-MP FX cameras...it's a NEW design, for a new era. It's low-cost too, since many tens of thousands of them were sold with Nikon D600 bodies not too long ago. Smaller, lighter, handier than a 24-70. The difference between 70mm and 85mm is very noticeable,and significant.

Do you realize that a 24-70mm f/2.8 is a large, bulky, pain-in-the-ass-to-carry-around lens? You might want to check one out before you commit to a lens in the 40-ounce size class, especially if it will be paired with a small-body camera like the D750, depending on what types of uses you're planning on using the lens for. For "working" use in social situations, 24-70 is good for CLOSE-range stuff and where you truly need lens speed; the 24-85 is more of a travel/utility/portraiture lens where you're more likely to be shooting at f/5.6, and want a smaller,lighter, easier-to-pack lens, that's also longer, AND which has Vibration Reduction for shooting in lower light without a tripod, or for slow-speed panning shots, etc..

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  7. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Derrel,
    I saw my brother-in-law's Cannon 24-70, and it was not something that I would like to carry as a GP lens, too bulky and heavy.
    Even the Nikon 24-120/4 seems too much for me, but I do like the zoom range.
    I've been eyeing the 24-85 for just the reason you state; smaller size and weight. Making it better as a GP lens. And f/4.5 isn't much different than f/4.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DGMPhotography

DGMPhotography Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

I find I almost always shoot around f/3.2 or even wide open on my 24-70.