Wife Portrait (1st edit with 135 F2 DC) (preliminary lens review incl)

Trever1t

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
wsgphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

_POR0140-Edit
by WSG Photography, on Flickr

Observations: Having used the 85f1.4G predominantly for the last year or so, I found the 135f2 to be rather different. Not as razor sharp like the 85, with a particular softness, not out of focus softness but a smoother transition from focus point to the OOF areas.

My copy does seem to have a very exaggerated front focus issue. I have the AF fine tune set to +20 and at least on the chart, at close range it's acceptable. In real use, at least with the sample above, it's tack sharp at F2.

I really haven't had much use of it yet but I think it feels like an old LP in comparison to a modern CD. There is something lost with today's modern digital systems. Rendition may be better, clearer, more consice but some ambiance I think is given up.

Your thoughts on the image and the lens?

2)
_POR0364-Edit by WSG Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
What a lucky man you are! Beautiful lady, beautiful lighting, and of corse the technicals are spot on. I've been looking forward to seeing what you come up with from this lens. I have to say-I'm sort but, this just seems to fall a little short for me. (And let's be honest here, it's because I've come to expect a high level of finesse from your work) I find the car mirror quite a bit distracting, as well as the line in the sky. I'm not a huge fan of the pose, just because of the way her fingers seem so disjointed from her body. Perhaps having them resting on her arm would have alleviated that?
I'm excited to see what you come up with next though!

She was on her way from work, not really a planned shoot but I wanted to edit one frame to display the lenses rendition of varied light. Your C&C was spot on though! :)

She was on her way from work, not really a planned shoot but I wanted to edit one frame to display the lenses rendition of varied light. Your C&C was spot on though! :)
Well on a lens related note: did you do much color correction in post or is that a pretty accurate rendering? The colors sure are beautifully vibrant!! How fast is the lens at focusing? I'm needing to get something to take pictures of my kiddos on their dirt bikes soon, but we're talking trail riding right now so I can be relatively close while shooting. If I could make this lens work, it might be a good excuse to enhanse my collection with something that I actually want. (Sports pictures are more of a "need" than something I really enjoy)

hardly any color touch at all. SOOC was very lovely. Focus fast as expected for a D lens. Not insanely fast like G but for portraiture it's just fine.

Nice! I'm thinking about getting the same lens. I do worry about CA, sharpness, contrast, and color retention at wide open aperture. I do shoot wide open and into a light source most of the time. I wish Nikon would upgrade this lens. I'd buy it in a heart beat at twice the price. For now, 85 f1.4 is my go to lens for portraits. :D

Last edited:
hardly any color touch at all. SOOC was very lovely. Focus fast as expected for a D lens. Not insanely fast like G but for portraiture it's just fine.
Think I could get a slow dirt biker like 10mph or so in good/ decent daylight.

yes, I got a guy riding his bike on the street in perfect focus, panning.

Nice! I'm thinking about getting the same lens. I do worry about CA, sharpness, contrast, and color retention at wide open aperture. I do shoot wide open and into a light source most of the time. I wish Nikon would upgrade this lens. I'd buy it in a heart beat at twice the price. For now, 85 f1.4 is my go to lens for portraits. :D

likewise, I've been shooting the same lens...spoiled we are!

can you do some direct comparison shots to your 85 1.4?

Love that lens. Just love Primes anyway but this is nice. Of course the subject helps too. Now I
need a 135. Jeez!

Second one a little red? Oh well, my objective was background separation. Shot at f2 again, this time using DC rear 2

Most reactions

New Topics

Back