Wiki Love Earth 2019 Photo Contest

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I don't know much about this contest but I thought I better post about it now because entries end at the end of June -- only a few days left. The link will take you to the International page. If I understand this correctly, you have to find your country's page and enter from there.

"Wiki Loves Earth (WLE) is an annual international photographic competition held throughout May and June, organized worldwide by Wikimedia chapters, groups and local Wikipedia volunteers. Participants take pictures of local natural heritage and scenic landscape in their countries and upload them to Wikimedia Commons. For all participating countries there are separate competitions organized by local teams, so periods, rules, prizes etc. might differ a bit.

The basic aim of the competition is to collect photos of natural heritage sites – such as nature reserves, landscape conservation areas, national parks, scenic/landscape areas, remarkable gardens, etc. – to illustrate articles in the worldwide free encyclopedia Wikipedia and other Wikimedia Foundation projects."

"Wiki Loves Earth 2019"
Commons:Wiki Loves Earth 2019 - Wikimedia Commons

It might not be a bad idea except - their policy on licensing. A 'free' license. Licensing must meet conditions such as being perpetual, non-revocable, etc.

Even worse it must allow for commercial use. So anyone could use other people's submitted photos to make money?? There's no way I'd agree to that, I'd expect to be paid for my photos to be licensed and used for someone else's advertising purposes or financial gain, etc. I wish people would stop providing photos to sites with terms and policies like that.

Not too many people bother reading the fine print in the excitement of getting their work out there.

Most reactions

Back