Wild Horses of Sand Wash Basin

Etoimos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Earlier this year I had the opportunity to travel with my father-in-law to the north west part of Colorado to photograph the wild horses of Sand Wash Basin for four days.

It was a very neat experience to spend time and mingle with the herd of wild horse. Below are some of the images I captured on that trip.

SandWash-8710.jpg

SandWash-8431.jpg

SandWash-8630.jpg

SandWash-8318.jpg

SandWash-9627.jpg

SandWash-8660.jpg

I hope you enjoyed these images. If you have any questions about them or the location, please let me know.

Awesome set! I especially like the last two action shots. Nice looking animals in this herd.

Thanks everyone.

Awesome set! I especially like the last two action shots. Nice looking animals in this herd.

Thank you. The action shots are always fun to capture. It surprised me how often you get to see a fight, but most of the time they are not close enough to get really good shots of them. That last shot I was probably only about 50 or so feet away from them. I had be "grazing" with them for about 30 min maybe when it broke out. They were harassing each other that whole time and finally just went after it.

Very nice!

Annnd now I'm hearing the Rolling Stones in my head....

What a great set and experience, beautiful animals. Those last two action shots are amazing.

Wow! Just awesome! We get very few horse pics here, let alone pics of wild horses and an excellent job on the action captures I might add. The action in #5 is my favorite, #6 for the zoomy win. Thanks for sharing!

Great stuff! I think you just added a new place to my bucket list.

@RVT1K @smoke665 @K9Kirk Thank you.

Great stuff! I think you just added a new place to my bucket list.

Thank you. There are several herd Management Areas (HMA) in Colorado. This one is quite remote, but it is one of the bigger ones and has a wide verity of horse colors. It is about 7 hours from my place, so I might be checking out some of the other HMAs to see what they are like.

It looks like there are a bunch of HMAs much closer to you in OR and WA. That link above will get you started in the right direction on your research.

Best series of wildlife in quite some time. There are some beautiful animals there. Great colors.

oh so so beautiful .. incredible shots of the wild......... wow i enjoyed them all

All great - nice light, good angles, sharp, amazing subjects - action shots are just so good, look like paintings.

Most reactions

Back