Wild Horses of Sand Wash Basin

Thanks @Photo Lady , @Tropicalmemories .

All great shots. The animals seem to allow you to get fairly close. How close can you get? Is it safely recommended?

It really depends on the horse/herd. Some don't let you get get closer than 150 feet and some will let you get to about 20-30 feet away after spending some time with them. The 4th image of the white horse, that one was taken out of my Jeep window. That horse walked up to about 10 feet way and was checking us out pretty good. The small herd of the last image would graze around me at about 20-30 feet. That specific image was taken when they were about 50 feet away. I don't think I would want to be any closer when they are fighting!

Horses are prey animals, so they will run away before they try and fight another type of animal or human. That said, some of the stallions will approach you with a little bit of attitude. When that happened, I just backed off some and they went back to tending their herd.

Thanks @Photo Lady , @Tropicalmemories .

All great shots. The animals seem to allow you to get fairly close. How close can you get? Is it safely recommended?

It really depends on the horse/herd. Some don't let you get get closer than 150 feet and some will let you get to about 20-30 feet away after spending some time with them. The 4th image of the white horse, that one was taken out of my Jeep window. That horse walked up to about 10 feet way and was checking us out pretty good. The small herd of the last image would graze around me at about 20-30 feet. That specific image was taken when they were about 50 feet away. I don't think I would want to be any closer when they are fighting!

Horses are prey animals, so they will run away before they try and fight another type of animal or human. That said, some of the stallions will approach you with a little bit of attitude. When that happened, I just backed off some and they went back to tending their herd.

Showoffs. Knew some guys like that when they were with their girlfriends.

Thank you @Jeff15

Wow! Wild horses! Cool! Very nice images too! Our wild horses in Germany aren´t soo pretty, they look a bit more "primitive" :D

I find it interesting how horses from different areas look different. Even these wild horses looked a little different from the domesticated horses we had. Especially in the structure of their heads.

Horses, like dogs, were bread for different purposes hence the different types. I also suspect that climate and other environmental impact modified them as well.

Earlier this year I had the opportunity to travel with my father-in-law to the north west part of Colorado to photograph the wild horses of Sand Wash Basin for four days.

It was a very neat experience to spend time and mingle with the herd of wild horse. Below are some of the images I captured on that trip.

SandWash-8710.jpg

SandWash-8431.jpg

SandWash-8630.jpg

SandWash-8318.jpg

SandWash-9627.jpg

SandWash-8660.jpg

I hope you enjoyed these images. If you have any questions about them or the location, please let me know.
You did an an amazing job and should be very proud of your work.

Beautiful horses. Brings me back memories when I use to ride horses in Southern California.

Most reactions

Back