Wild Storm August 24, 2011

mswiech

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well last night we had a nice wild storm come through the area. Tornado watches and warnings as well as Severe Thunder storms. There was a bit of rain that came down as well, but glad it didn't last that long. The sky was light up so well the only thing that I could describe is bombs going off over head. It was eerie at time as the lightning was all around (North, East West, South and over top of me) At some times there was in all directions. Gotta love a good lightning storm while standing near a metal tripod :D Below are some pictures that I captured during the storm. There was times that the sky was so light up it severely over-exposed a bit of the pictures.

All shot on a:
Nikon D3100
Nikon 50mm F/1.8G
Cable Release
Velbon Tripod
ISO 100
F11
Bulb Mode

dsc0413.jpg

dsc0412.jpg

dsc0411.jpg

dsc0409.jpg

dsc0408.jpg

I love the 3rd photo, the lightening really has an intense glow. Was the sky this color purple?

Yes, it just after the sunset. It was exposed at 144secs so with all the heat lightning going one, it could have contributed to that glow, but yes i too like it.

Fun shots. I like the 4th the best. It has 2 interesting spots w/ the bolts.
Keep shooting

Neat images, thanks for sharing. We don't get many thunderstorms at night when it is possible to capture lightning - most are in late day or early evening and with "brighter" sky, makes it difficult to capture it, so I always envy those who can make this happen. :thumbup:

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Thanks @WesternGuy and Mishele :)

Most reactions

Back