Will a 70-210 lens that fits a Minolta 3000i, also fit a Sony A100?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As the title implies, I am looking at buying a 70-210 lens (not sure which version yet) and it has been hooked up to a Minolta 3000i. Is the mount compatible with a Sony Alpha A100?

I don't know for certain...but I would assume that it would work. Sony kept the Minolta mount when they took over their photo interests.

yeah... I just wonder, like Canon FD mount vs EF...you know. I wonder if Minolta has the same type of thing going on.

I saw a Minolta 3000i and 70-210 lens on Craigslist for $25 total. No specs really so I wonder if the person selling them doesn't quite know what they have. I have heard the 70-210 referred to as a beercan, that goes for $200ish, so at first I thought this was a steal, but after researching, there seems to be several versions of the 70-210. A few of them are at least $150 still, and one of them is going for about $40.

This is probably the $40 one, but who knows. A buddy of mine has an A100, and could use a tele zoom.

He sent a pic of the lens. I think it's just a crappy lens. If anybody sees awesomeness in this one, I'll pursue it...but it doesn't look like anything special.

70210.jpg

Only Minolta Maxxum lenses are compatible with Sony Alpha camera's. No Minolta MD's, MC's, blah blah blah.

The "BeerCan" is a 70-210 f/4. It is quite inexpensive, sharp, and very popular among Alpha shooters. I am still deciding whether or not I should get one, but I will probably decide against it.

I believe that lens will fit, but I know for sure it is not the "BeerCan".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back