Will a new camera take better pics?

What I see from looking at the various pics is that point and shoot cameras like ours can do a pretty good job at basic outdoor landscapes. When zooming in on a subject, however, it pales in comparison to an SLR. The level of detail is just not the same. So, I think my wife is justified in wanting a new camera. I hope it is all right if I start another post to ask for camera recommendations. Since it is so close to Christmas, I'd like to leverage the experience of the board members...

Cap, there are many other benefits of a DSLR over a point and shoot beside the detail retention. Better low light, Off Camera Flash (Bigger deal than most think), better DOF, faster and more accurate focus and shooting, more manual control, higher Dynamic Range, less Noise, interchangeable lenses, etc...

Perhaps post a link to your new topic asking about camera types here so we can find it easier also. :D :thumbup:

A friend in the office let me borrow her new T2i this evening. I took some random pics with it as well as my SX 110 point and shoot, under the same indoor lighting conditions. OMG, the Rebel is so much better - it's not even in the same universe...

I recently upgraded from a Nikon Coolpix point and shoot to the Canon Rebel XS. Many friends of mine have the T1 and T2, but these were just not in my price range. I paid about $500 for the XS and I absolutely love it. I am NOT a photographer, but I use my camera daily to take pictures of my kids and our day to day adventures. My friends and family all love the new camera and the vast difference of the picture quality from the old point and shoot I had. The XS is a great way to get started for someone like me and maybe your wife too. I plan on learning how to really use it, then upgrading my lenses as I can. It's a great starter camera to consider!
PS-So far I have not seen any major differences in my friends' photos from their T1 and T2 cameras. I think the main differences may be functions that a more advanced shooter would take advantage of.

Most reactions

Back