Will a Sigma 70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Lens work with a Sigma 1.4 Tele Converter?

N E Williams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
nathanewilliams.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok I am a beginner and have a Nikon D3000, I want to buy a Sigma 70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Lens for it and also buy a Sigma 1.4x EX DG APO Tele Converter too. I am just wondering will these two work well together to get me better results for taking pictures of small objects/insects?

Sigma 70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Lens - Nikon Fit (270959) - Warehouse Express

Sigma 1.4x EX DG APO Tele Converter Nikon Fit (824955) - Warehouse Express

there is links to both of the things I want to buy just incase the description was not good enough.

Thanks, Nathan

No it will not work.

Lens - Teleconverter Compatability Chart

Next time you want descriptions, check with B&H or a more reputable photography dealer. They are much more thorough in their descriptions typically. This link was found in their product info.

EDIT: nevermind, this info was also listed in the description on the page you linked to as well.

Warehouse Express are a respected UK dealer (yes there is a world outside of the USA ;) ;))

Also just to clarify the reason N E Williams is asking and not looking at the sigma website is because I've already told him that the Canon mount versions of these optics will mount together without problems - but that I was unsure if the Nikon versions would. In other words the sigma website lies ;)

(yes there is a world outside of the USA ;) ;))

Man, I feel sorry for the suckers that live there.:lmao: Just kidding, I love the UK, long live Jeremy Clarkson.

Anyway, the reason they probably don't specify is because its probably been hit and miss with certain pairings and camera bodies. So they probably don't want unhappy customers. So if that is the case then you can't count on anything 100%. Some people may say it worked for them while others might not. I think the only ones you can be sure of, is the ones listed by Sigma. The brightside is, if THOSE don't work, you can get your money back.

Personally, I would just go with the Kenko Pro300 DGX. Unless you are worried about some sort of dust seal or whatever between the mating of those two, the kenko will perform swimmingly.I have used it on a 70-300 f4.0-5.6, a 70-200 f/2.8, and a 50mm f/1.4. All three worked great, Autofocused without a problem. ( the 70-300 was purely outdoors though and definately wouldn't have focused well indoors at f/8.

EDIT: oh, and I stand corrected about the warehouse dealer. I had never heard of them before and can only recommend what I know.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I think I might just go with the Sigma TC and if it doesn't do the job then as you said I can get my money back. I'm still unsure if they will work cause people have said they will, and some people say they won't work but guess all I can do is try.. just don't wanna be wasting my money that's all

Well, depends on the return policy of the place you buy it from. I meant if it doesn't work with a lens from that list, you can easily return it because it would be false advertising. You can't really complain if it doesn't work with the other lens ( although you could probably still return it if you do it quickly after receiving it ) Check with your seller.

I would trust Amazon,B&H or Adorama. But don't think I would give your choice a chance with such an expensive order.

Thanks for the recommendation which is very much appreciated.

BTW I'm only an email away for advice and / or after-sales support with any order from Adorama Camera.

NB please don't forget that we are in the midst of our Fall holiday period.

Adorama NYC Retail Store schedule:
Sukkoth: We will close Wednesday, September 22, 2010 at 2:30pm and will reopen on Sunday October 3 at 9:30 am

Adorama phone-sales department schedule

Wednesday Sep 22 9:00 - 3:00
Tuesday Sep 28 – 9:00 - 5:00
Wednesday Sep 29 9:00 - 3:00
Thank you for your understanding and your business

Most reactions

Back