What's new

Will be renting a lense for a wedding shoot - which lense?

Leftyplayer

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
157
Reaction score
5
Location
New York
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Which one lense would you want to make sure to have when photographing a wedding? By the way, it's a mock wedding with photographers and models, so it's not the end of the world. It's for practice and portfolio building. Only time I shot a real wedding was when I was 17 and my cousin decided it was okay to let a hobbyist little kid take her wedding photos, yikes!!:confused: (being young enough at the time I was like, "sweet!" and went ahead and took a bunch of crappy pictures :lol:)

The one lense I'm thinking about is the 24-70mm f2.8. Any other suggestions?
 
Hi Leftplayer,

The 24-70 is the one I'd have suggested. It sits on one of my bodies at every wedding, with either a 70-200mm or a 50mm f1.4 on the other body.

Good luck!
 
If you're shooting with a crop-sensor then the 24-70 would be my choice; if you're using a FF body, than I'd lean more toward the 70-200.
 
24-70 it is! (yes, I have a crop sensor). I already have a 70-200, so that part is covered.
 
35mm.

If it is a mock wedding, you wont have to document the dancing where you need wider angle. 35mm is plenty wide and it is a money lens!
 
Speaking of 35mm.... If you're comfortable manual focusing, the new Zeiss 35mm 1.4 looks to be an amazing lens, and I have seen them available for rent. I was originally thinking of upgrading my 28 to the canon 35, but I think I may go Zeiss now, my Zeiss 50 never disappoints!
 
You are brave. Zeiss 35 and 50 are popular in video community. No way I would want to use it for photography. I like my AF :).
 
I certainly like AF too! But not always as much I like my micro-contrast, and mysterious out of focus field curvature.. : )

It can't get every shot, but the ones it does, my goodness!
 
with my crappy low light AF, I turned the live view on, manually focus it until i think it looks good on LCD, took pictures. I went home and processed it, they were all blurry. I suck at MF lol.
 
The trifecta for weddings is what I recommend. Nikkor 12-24, 24-70, and 70-200. Throw in a 35 or 50 1.4 an you're golden!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom