Will Canon ever release a crop sensor with 1080p60 that's not the 7D Mark II?

Frank M

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been on the edge of purchasing a new body for a long while now. I do a lot of video, but also do a lot of sports and landscape photography.

One of the video features I've been really waiting for is a crop sensor body that does 1080P 60 fps or more. I know you're saying, well, the 7D Mark II does that, but it lacks a feature I find absolutely critical and that is the articulating screen.

I wish the 70D had this capability as it would have been my absolute no brainer. Now, I'm left with very little options when it comes to Canon (I'm a Canon shooter through and through).

With their new releases (T6's, 5DS, 5DR), they skipped including higher frame rates and, to me, that seems to indicate they are in no rush to do so.

So I'm a bit stuck and don't know what to do.

Any suggestions?

Maybe look at the GH4 for doing mostly all your video stuff. You can get a metabones adapter and should be able to use all your current glass.

Its still only rumors but I heard the 5D IV will have very good video capabilities.
I would wait for that.

Its still only rumors but I heard the 5D IV will have very good video capabilities.
I would wait for that.

but will it actually have a screen that benefits video shooters?

I would wait for that.

but will it actually have a screen that benefits video shooters?

Ahh yes, you are right, it probably will not have an articulated screen like the Nikon D750.

I guess if OP wants a good all around camera that does good sports, video and have the articulated screen currently the D750 is his only option.
Shame he is only willing to consider Canon.

The D5300 does 1080p @ 60fps and has a better articulating screen for video over the D750 -- plus it costs signficantly less than the 7DmII.

Glad no one had offered anything remotely helpful thus far. The OP said he wants to stick with Canon.

OP, what will the articulating screen allow you to do that you cannot do now?
Are you shooting free hand or on a tripod?
What type of subjects are you shooting?

Glad no one had offered anything remotely helpful thus far. The OP said he wants to stick with Canon.

glad to see you weren't able to either.

glad to see you weren't able to either.

I ask questions to help find the best answer.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the answers and questions I'll try to respond to everything.

Regarding a dedicated video camera, I simply prefer a DSLR for my purposes. It allows me to do much more for much less.

Yes, I am a Canon shooter and would much prefer to stick with Canon because of the investment I've made into glass, the brand, etc. But I'm not completely against other brands if I'm not breaking the bank (really don't want to go over $1000).

Regarding the articulating screen, I am shooting in various styles. I do quite a bit of free hand/gorilla style work. I also tend to have to get a lot of low and high shots where the articulating screen does wonders.

Thanks again everyone.

Thats why I suggested a dedicated camera, does Canon have one that you could use your existing Canon lenses on ?

Canon does have a dedicated video camera that would use my existing lenses, but as I mentioned, DSLR allows me to do much more for much less. Unfortunately, the dedicated video camera route is not an option at this time.

Thats why I suggested a dedicated camera, does Canon have one that you could use your existing Canon lenses on ?

They do but they are quite expensive.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the answers and questions I'll try to respond to everything.

Regarding a dedicated video camera, I simply prefer a DSLR for my purposes. It allows me to do much more for much less.

Yes, I am a Canon shooter and would much prefer to stick with Canon because of the investment I've made into glass, the brand, etc. But I'm not completely against other brands if I'm not breaking the bank (really don't want to go over $1000).

Regarding the articulating screen, I am shooting in various styles. I do quite a bit of free hand/gorilla style work. I also tend to have to get a lot of low and high shots where the articulating screen does wonders.

Thanks again everyone.

Look into the 70d, great starter dslr video rig. Flip out screen, best true AF and cheap. Granted it won't do 60fps, but depending on what you are shooting there are ways to cheat that.

Hey runnah,

Yeah, as I mention in my OP, the 70D would be my no brainer if it did 60fps. I know you can cheat that, but you can cheat way more with 60fps.

Someone else mentioned the GH4, but again, a bit out of my price range.

I went off on a tangent, but the just of the original post was to ask whether people thought Canon will be coming out with something in the near future that does 60fps or more.

Hey runnah,

Yeah, as I mention in my OP, the 70D would be my no brainer if it did 60fps. I know you can cheat that, but you can cheat way more with 60fps.

Someone else mentioned the GH4, but again, a bit out of my price range.

I went off on a tangent, but the just of the original post was to ask whether people thought Canon will be coming out with something in the near future that does 60fps or more.

I guarantee they will. The question will be if it's in your price range or not.

As mention the 5D mark IV will certainly have it along with possible 4k, but figure that it will be close to $4k at launch.

Alternative options are using software like RE Vision Effects Inc. Products Twixtor to get what I image is the slower motion look.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back