Will cheap UV filters still do the trick?

I buy the cheapest ones I can find on amazon, I think the do the trick....its glass how different can glass get? lol

I buy the cheapest ones I can find on amazon, I think the do the trick....its glass how different can glass get? lol

Very different. You don't make lenses out of window glass. Glass in front of your lens will cause image softness. There's a reason that optical glass costs so much.

You're right. They did do the trick.

Unfortunately, the trick was getting you to pull money out of your wallet for a product that is essentially - useless. :lmao:

It took this member about a year to figure out her El Cheapo UV filters were causing her focus sharpness issues. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...e-pics-you-will-not-believe-what-problem.html

No difference whatsoever! Now go out and buy the cheapest lenses you can find and tell me there's no difference in glass.

Haha okay maybe your right... If you put it that way. I've just used filters as a protection...

So...What exactly is the difference between high quality lens glass, cheap filter glass and window glass?

So...What exactly is the difference between high quality lens glass, cheap filter glass and window glass?

The purity of the raw glass, the accuracy with which it is ground and polished, the quality of the coatings and how accurately they are applied, the engineering that goes into the design. Those are the first things that come to mind.

Technically speaking, I meant.

I've read a lot of claims that cheap ultraviolet filters use low quality components and manufacturing techniques, with no evidence to support the claim. I would like to think the price purchasing from a reputable manufacturer reflects on its quality, but a lot of time (not necessarily in camera equipment) brand X, Y, and Z's product are all made at the same factory on shared equipment.

I've read a lot of claims that cheap ultraviolet filters use low quality components and manufacturing techniques, with no evidence to support the claim. I would like to think the price purchasing from a reputable manufacturer reflects on its quality, but a lot of time (not necessarily in camera equipment) brand X, Y, and Z's product are all made at the same factory on shared equipment.
Be careful about asking for evidence on this forum, especially with regards to filters used for "protection".

Be careful about asking for evidence on this forum, especially with regards to filters used for "protection".

Buckster, I know what you're getting at and I would like to mention I am impartial on the subject technically and personally because I'm not aware of any conclusive experiments that support using/not using a fitter for protectin. I can say, however, that it's in everyone's best interest, given the current information, not to rely on a uv filter for protection and is why I have removed mine.

And thank you, sparky. I enjoy technical articles quite a bit.

My attitude is that if you're not sure of something, do a test. I have done these on my equipment, and I know that the filters (at least the ones I had) degrade optical quality. So I use them only when I have a specific need that will be met by using the filter. If you test with the filters YOU want to use, and see no issues, then keep them on. It doesn't have to be a religious discussion.

Okay, may seem stupid question, but do you shoot with your hood on in doors and out doors. This has me thinking. I was told to buy them to protect the lens, but that bad glass does make sense, and additional surface for the light to travel does cut down on quality.

Also, how large a hood do you use? I am going to start shooting without a filter, maybe that is why one of lens tends to be soft. Thanks for sharing:)

...Also, how large a hood do you use? I am going to start shooting without a filter, maybe that is why one of lens tends to be soft. Thanks for sharing:)
The best hood is always the one that came with/is available for (by the lens maker) that lens.

Okay, may seem stupid question, but do you shoot with your hood on in doors and out doors.

Yes always.

My hoods are on the lenses all the time, reversed for storage. So I just have to reverse them to use them. Blocking stray light might be less of an issue indoors but indoors is where you run the most chance of contacting something.

Mind you the most common danger my lenses face this days are curious infant fingers reaching for their own reflexion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back