What's new

Will Mirrorless Kill the DSLR? (I had to ask, as it's all I seem to hear about!)

Whether it's an improved version of the pellicle mirror, or the EVF (good lord, I hope not.),

I'm on the other side of the coin. I hope it is (whatever it is) an EVF based camera.

Everything people complain about the EVF has everything to do with a technology in its infantile state. I haven't heard any compelling disadvantage of the EVF that is deeply rooted in operation or design. I am thoroughly convinced that all these deficiencies in today's implementation of EVFs can be solved with advances in technology in due time. You only have to compare live view or EVFs from just a few years ago to even the EVF of the 1st micro 43 camera; Panasonic G1. Its surprisingly good... not perfect by a long ways but its good enough to focus manually.

EVF does have the ability to brighten up on low light situations (refresh rate is improving) which is something not possible with optical viewfinders. Heads up display of information such as in-focus areas (Sony Peeking feature), over / under exposure area indication, histogram etc.. all not really possible with optical viewfinders. It also allows for designs that swivel, tilt, rotate.. etc.. again not easily achieved in optical viewfinders (in small packages). Instant magnification (optical requires screw on glass magnifiers or dopters). Feed back on locked/tracking of subjects. A must of video. The list goes on and on.

My point.. give it time... I believe the EVF can achieve the experience many want... that is if something else better doesn't pop up in the market first ( I'm thinking Hybrid viewfinder a la X100)
 
Last edited:
Some interesting points here, I think Nikon will eventually go the EVF route when the technology is up to speed. And this I guess will mean smaller bodies than the current batch as Sony are doing with the SLT's, most importantly to me though it means my lens collection will not become obsolete in the near future and I will not lose the ergonomics of a slightly bigger camera. ;) This to me is the scariest thing about the 'dinky' mirrorless camera generation, I mean it's great that they are so 'lightweight' and compact but at the same time using a Mirrorless smaller camera as a 'Tool' is difficult for me as a small camera is fiddly and a bigger camera is not fiddly at all.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom