Will this fry my Canon ? - Studio lighting queston

ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have an older Novatron 240 kit ... I rec'd word from Novatron that it's not OK to use with my newer Canon 450D.. I was told to get a voltage reducer .. about $50..

I have a Yongnuo Wireless Flash Trigger that has a PC connection - this unit has Dip Switches, which means that it has its own electronics in the trigger - Am I OK to use this to sync with my power unit, or will it still cause some damage? - Wouldn't the electronics in the trigger kind of isolate any voltage issue that can cause damage to the camera ?​

Don't ask me to contact Yongnuo about this because I had a hard time just trying to dicipher 'their' version of "English" in their manual .... Not sure they could handle this question.. :confused:

Certainly don't mind purchasing a unit that will do what I want it to and protect my Canon, but also don't want to throw money away if I already have something that will work..​

tks,​

r​

Yes, by my understanding, the wireless trigger will isolate your camera from the strobe...so you should be OK.

Further to that, I'd guess that Novatron is playing it safe by telling you to use a voltage regulator (Wien Safe Sync, for example). They don't want to tell you that it's OK, and then have you blame them on the off chance that something is wrong.

10 or more years ago, when film SLRs were king. The safe sync voltage on an EOS camera was said to be something like 9 volts or lower, maybe 6v. However, a few models into the digital era, they gave us cameras that could handle a 250v trigger voltage. That's the rating on my 20D cameras, and they are 'old' by today's standards.

You could probably use a voltage meter to test the trigger voltage of your strobe, and look up the rating for your camera, then you'd know for sure.

But either way, the wireless trigger will protect the camera.

The voltage from your Novatron may fry your trigger, not your camera, unless your trigger transmits the voltage wirelessly :er:

dont know alot about wireless triggers or strobes but i do know that voltage will not be transferred through the transmitter, its a signal only. they only way you would fry your camera from a wireless trigger is if it gets hit by an EMP pulse :p

Most reactions

Back